Samsung Releases 'Industry's Largest' SAS SSD At 30.72TB SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giroro

Splendid
So 1 drive write per day for 5 years = 1825 writes per each cell in flash... but that number also most likely includes 2 TB of extra cells for over-provisioning (or maybe not actually). I wouldn't be surprised if far less than 27TiB of this thing actually end up usable.

Regardless, that is really bad longevity. Even the worst TLC NAND should be able to reach at least 3,000 writes. Is this QLC or something?

Something about this combined with other moves from Samsung in the enterprise market seems rushed and desperate. I think Samsung is realizing their NAND can't come close to competing with the 3D-Xpoint in Optane.

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
I think the reason it is only rated for 1dwpd is that if you take it's 1.7GB/s write speed, if all you are doing is writing to it continuously, you can only write 146TB per day (4.8 dwpd). This endurance rating probably came from not wanting to spend the 3+ years of testing it would take to actually confirm that it could write for more than that. Also, any reasonable use of these will probably be reading about as much as it is writing so 1dwpd basically just means it shouldn't be under full write load 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS