Samsung Reveals "World's Largest SSD," Seagate And Huawei Beg To Differ

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

from what I remember, and anyone correct me if i'm wrong, seagate usually comes out with the largest drives first, but historically they had the worst failure rates, peaking with the 1.5tb (everyone sucked at this specific drive size) of somewhere close to 15%

they also offered the shortest warranties after crap hit the fan a few years back and everyone stopped the 5 years on anything besides the enterprise drives so that makes them seem like they have the worse drives, however currently, if i remember the numbers right seagate is leading in lowest drive failures while WD is trailing, granted this is all sub 6% on mechanical drives, but people get lemons, shipping damages a hard drive, so on so forth, some people swore off WD because a batch they ordered had half the drives fail (this indicates shipping broke the drives) or you get seagate that had the worst 1.5tb of which i went through rma processes with them 5 times, one of the drives vibrated itself to death.

for me, back your data up, there, this crap about drive failure rates is over right then and there, back it up, rma or replace the broken drive, mirror over.

Surprised to see the day that SSD drives are larger than the mechanical competition. I think those shows where the future is headed.

I would love to have a 1 TB SSD as my main drive but those a still a bit more than I want to pay...

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
1tb about ~250 now , thats not so bad, 480 is the best price atm tho, at $100.

Heck i spent 230 not so long ago for a 256gb so seems cheap to me.

I really wish they were at the 4tb for ~150 price point tho, id love to have 2 large ssds in raid 1. But for now HDD still win for large media drives.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

I am receptive to suggestions, in fact, if there is something wrong I would like to know. Feel free to point out specific errors.

3ogdy

Distinguished

To be honest, I'm much more interested in who will bring SSD prices down sooner, rather than in who makes the largest SSD on the planet. We still can't get half a TB of flash in an SSD for less than $100 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.