Samsung Says It is "Not Doing Very Well" in Tablet Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Well think about it.. Android is known for giving it's buyers options.

Hardware options are a big want, people weren't fussed on Tegra 2 and that's pretty much the tablet market right now. Tegra 3 is out.

I mean couldn't they throw a few of their Samsung CPU's in there along with a quad-core Mali?

n00b opinion: 'the industry' couldn't even find an ipod killer.. how're they gonna find an ipad killer? none of the tablet makers have managed to build a gpu like ipads'. tegra 2 blew so much that it is holding back tegra 3's wide implementation. patent trolling is another hindrance. prices for 'decent performing' tablets are still way too high. apple demands body parts be sold so that people can buy their overpriced tablet, etc. etc.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
When they release a tablet with the new ARM A15 cores I might get one..

I like samsung's awesome displays, after using the S-AMOLED+ on the GS2 I wouldn't want anything less vibrant...

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Samsung offers like 5 diferetn tablets and refresh the product line every 6 months. Apple has 1 product and refreshes once a year. Maybe killing your products is not the best way. And offering 1 powerfull solution is

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]leandrodafontoura[/nom]Samsung offers like 5 diferetn tablets and refresh the product line every 6 months. Apple has 1 product and refreshes once a year. Maybe killing your products is not the best way. And offering 1 powerfull solution is[/citation]

You have a good point, Apple offers 6 different tablets but all have the same underline hardware with the exception of storage (16/32/65 gig) and the cellular radio (with 3g and perhaps 4g or without). It is pretty simple. If Samsung followed the same model I think it would be good for them but I am not sure it will gain them much if any market share.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Not including SD card in first Galaxy Tab was a big mistake, if customer doesn't care about getting milked, he/she normally falls into Apple's hands.

Good that they've figured it with Galaxy Tab 2.

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
I love tech, but I just can't find a use for a tablet. With sizes not that far off from a laptop and yet way to big to put in a pocket, it's hard to find it's niche. Once prices come down on ultrabooks it'll only further seal the demise of the Android tablet. Of course iPads will still sell, but that's a completely different story.

G

Its a product with limited market. Like facebook and twitter - once the fashion
moves on it will have a small core of users (people on TV that cant read an autocue maybe)

I dont want one - I have no use for carrying around a great big tablet thing. At home
I have a far higher spec far more flexible laptop and if that doesnt do it I use a desktop.
If I want TV I watch my TV.
If I want TV on the move - I visit a psychiatrist and get my head examined.
As for "cloud" computing - I'll allow that the same day I get my brain replaced by a cauliflower.
And Google Linux devices turn out to be just automated international criminal hacking of everyones personal data.

The more of that they hide in their tech the less I'm going to use it anyway no matter who makes it.
Perhaps if Samsung looked at what people need rather than trying to push the market - they could make a device that was functional. But I doubt it.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I've played with a Samsung Tab 10... it looks nice, but feels a bit cheap. The back is plastic that flexes (thin and lightweight), it costs the same or a bit more than an iPad. The so-so support of Samsung doesn't help.

Android tablets will always be weak because they don't have Apple's eco-system. I still think that MS's entry into the tablet market with WinMobile 8 will eat into Android sales big time. ThinkPads Tablet looks very nice... but again, all the weakness of Android.

When you look at stores, its Ipad and tablets. Walmart has iPad signs on their doors. In the electronics dept. They have more apple stuff than all the others. Thing about apple, all the icrap stuff is compatible, same standard connector - which is easier to use than the Mini-USB typically used on everything else.

ASUS is the only Android maker that seems to make a good dent in the market, the transformer looks great, works great and easy add-ons is why people like them... and they do actually sell.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
While I like the innovation of the OLED display models, if they reduced the price on their tablets, I am willing to bet they would sell many more of them. Samsung has to decide what they want to do, cash in on the fad, or provide great devices at a reasonable cost. If the latter, then I am willing to bet things would change for them.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
So many bash Apple for its simplicity but how can all these other manufacturers be so fracking stupid?????

Stop offering 50+ different versions of similar products!!!!!!!!!!!!
It creates market clutter, buyer confusion, and keeps you from streamlining your processes and lower costs!!!!!

Holy Sh!t, the people that run these companies get paid hundreds of thousands if not millions and cant figure that simple concept out?????

You deserve to fail in the market if your that stupid.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Well... Because apple is its own niche market market where people will buy ANYTHING with an apple logo on it.

This just proves tablets are a fad, and not something that people really desire to have.

dimcorner

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
With Android you actually have to know quite a bit of the product in order to choose one. Processor, memory, display type, aspect ratio, OS version, brand support, etc.

Apple did it right in where no matter where you buy it you can just go to an apple store and have it taken care of.

Also it doesn't help that Android is so fragmented (seen how many Samsung phones are there?) and makes the OS and it's apps a hit or miss on whether they work right or if they perform correctly with your version of hardware. I also notice a lag on every version of Android tablet I have tried out at the store. As a disclosure the only Apple products I have is a phone and the pad and will never buy a PC/Laptop from them.

If I was presented with a free Galaxy Pad and iPad, I'd take the iPad without question. I don't want to be associated with Samsung nor do I want to be boggled down by a slow and cumbersome OS.

With that said, I'd love a Windows 8 slate or QNX-powered PlayBook over any of these.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I want a Wacom stylus, 1200x800 minimum resolution 12+ inch IPS screen, and a Tegra 3 or x86 CPU with dedicated non-Intel graphics. If they built a tablet like that I would buy it. Right now Samsung just seems to be churning out the same thing in different sizes. That's not going to get my attention. I hate having to lug around both a netbook and an old LE1700 tablet, but until there's a suitable replacement for that pair I will continue to use them.

The problem is sky high prices yet they wonder why their sales are poor. $500+ for a small tablet is a lot to ask compared to the tablets of old like the compaq tc1100 that had more functionality than many of these modern tablets. Don't get me wrong I've owned 4 android tablets but cost and weak cpus as well the bare minimum ram contributes to most of the issues with most tablets. The worst part is how easy the screen digitizer gets cracked on many tablets.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I still don't understand why people want a tablet. I can see some situations where they would be useful, but for the majority of people a laptop is a much better option. The tablet market may never completely die, but I don't think its going to keep up the current level of sales/hype. I'd rather have an ultrabook.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]So many bash Apple for its simplicity but how can all these other manufacturers be so fracking stupid?????Stop offering 50+ different versions of similar products!!!![/citation]
For quite a while there are only 2 Tablets sold by Samsung, 7" and 10" versions, dear iZombie.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Android tablets will always be weak because they don't have Apple's eco-system.[/citation]
Cite BS much? On smartphone market iOS is 18% worldwide, vs more than 50 by android. In a couple of years we'll see the same happen to tablet market. Apple is already down to about 60% from more than 90% not so long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.