Samsung Series 9 Laptop, won't boot. Reached the ends of Google, now turning to Toms...

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I have a Samsung Series 9 Laptop (NP900X4C-A01US to be specific). It came preinstalled with Windows 7, which I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro several months ago. About 2 months ago, I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a second partition I created and the two OSes worked just fine until yesterday.

The last time I booted up Windows 8 it started installing updates, but I was in a hurry so I closed the lid of the laptop, unplugged it and stuck it in my backpack. It had plenty of battery power, so I assumed it would just finish installing the updates and shut down on its own. But when I next tried to boot it up, it got to the Windows loading screen (after I selected Windows 8 at the Linux boot selector) and then gave me a blue screen saying "Your PC needs to be repaired" along with "File: CLFS.SYS" and "Error Code: 0xc00000e9". It gives me the option to try again (same error), or to Press F8 for startup options which give me a whole list for debugging, the 3 safe mode options, and more...all of which give the same error. I've googled all over the internet trying to find a solution but everything pretty much tells me to try to repair it with the Windows disc or just reformat the drive and reinstall...which brings me to the other issue...

I can't seem to get any OS installed. First I tried to reinstall windows using a bootable USB drive (my laptop doesn't have a disc drive). I downloaded the Win8 install files from the official site and tried letting the program create the USB drive for me, as well as letting it create a .iso and then manually extracting and copying the files onto the drive. I also tried doing this on multiple drives in case it was the USB drive itself that was faulty. Every time it would show the Windows 8 loading logo and animation and then it would go to a black screen and stay there.

Before I tried reinstalling Windows, I also tried booting into the Ubuntu partition. But when I tried this it gave me "error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'." So then I tried a bootable Linux drive. I tried installing Ubuntu, and I tried just booting into Ubuntu from the drive. In both cases I got the same error before it would reboot automatically. It was several dozen lines of output that I couldn't copy down completely before it rebooted but I was able to spot a line that said something about a kernel panic.

I've tried everything I can think of, including restoring the BIOS to defaults, would really like to avoid actually sending in the laptop for repair. It boggles my mind that I can't do something as simple as install an OS. Hope you guys can help.

Solution
Have you tried going into the bios to see if there are any SMART drive tools, it sounds to me like you could be having hardware issues. Maybe see if you can get some drive tools onto a bootable USB flash drive and run those. Not sure if you can pull the drive out of that notebook and hook it to your PC, if you can you may be able to use some drive tools to completely wipe/reset the drive and make sure the partitions aren't corrupt.

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Have you tried going into the bios to see if there are any SMART drive tools, it sounds to me like you could be having hardware issues. Maybe see if you can get some drive tools onto a bootable USB flash drive and run those. Not sure if you can pull the drive out of that notebook and hook it to your PC, if you can you may be able to use some drive tools to completely wipe/reset the drive and make sure the partitions aren't corrupt.

Solution

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

Great idea...unfortunately, the SMART tools are saying that the drive is about to fail...thinking it might have ALREADY failed...which is insane since the laptop's like 8 months old...I'll update after reformatting the drive.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
So, even with PartedMagic running from RAM, I am unable to do any kind of modification to my partitions and several of them have detected bad sectors in GParted....sooo, my hard drive's dead...awesome...sending in to Samsung. Thanks for the tip GavinLeigh

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006

Ouch, sorry about that. At least it is under warranty and didn't fail a couple of weeks outside the warranty period.