Samsung SSD 850 Pro total written bytes escalated quickly

C3ck0

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
Hello guys,
Recently I upgraded my Dell Inspiron laptop with Samsung SSD 850 PRO 128 GB. After I installed Samsung Magician software I've optimized OS for Maximum Reliability (hibernation, superfetch and prefetch are disabled and PageFile is shrinked) and enabled RAPID mode. Since then I keep an eye on Total Bytes Written (TBW), which escalated quickly showing me roughly 0,35-0,45 TB per day. For 3 weeks I've got 6,20 TBW, which is why I'm concerned because after the OS, drivers and programs installation I haven't written any data on the SSD.
I'm worried this SSD is going to fail too soon and not reach the advertised 10 years guarantee.

I used to worry about my SSD, and then I realized they are about speed. The odds of me having that same drive in 10 years is zero. Heck even the odds of me having if it in 5 years is pretty low. I don't keep any sensitive data on them, other than that I treat it like a normal drive, when it dies it dies. By that time larger and faster drives will exist that I will want to upgrade too.

I think you are being too paranoid. I wouldn't even look at that TBW counter, its just going to make you worry.

C3ck0

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

You're right. Should look at this counter less. Thanks for the quick response!

fallven

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
I've got the same drive and I too think TBW is increasing too quickly, I haven't done much on this drive, but my TBW increased by 200 GB TBW in a week or so.

C3ck0

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
I've observed data in Resource Monitor and i saw, that around 10 MB/s writes come from the PageFile. Unfortunately I don't have enough RAM to disable completely PageFile to test if it decreases the amout of writes per day or week.