Question Samsung SSD Evo 860 not detected after every boot

sanchez2480

Commendable
Feb 17, 2017
Hello, I've been having an issue with my SSD where after every boot up, the SSD is no longer detected (note: this is not my boot drive). I have to turn everything off and unplug the SSD completely and then plug it up again. I've tried to change both cables for the SSD and tried to plug them to different ports, but I'm still getting the same issue.
Specs:
Mobo: gigabyte z390 aorus master
CPU: Intel i9 9900k
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Boot drive: Samsung 970 EVO plus M.2
other drive: Samsung SSD EVO 860 2TB (this is the one with the issues)
RAM: Corsair vegeance RGB 32 gb
GPU: gigabyte aorus RTX 2080 TI

Last edited:

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Win X > device manager > disk drives

See if you can find your drive in "disk drives" and if so right click on it and choose "update drivers."

It'll probably just tell you that the best drivers are already installed, but if it actually installs drivers, it might help your problem.

The other question is whether the SATA SSD is listed in the order of booting in UEFI. You might have to experiment. Make it 2nd. Or remove it. See what happens.

SATA DATA. And by the way you might just have a defective SATA data cable, it might just need to be snugged in, it might need to be replaced. At $1 or $2 each you should have some extras, if you don't have extras then go out and buy four or five, and try putting a new SATA cable in. You can try moving the data to a new port on the mobo.

SATA POWER. the other issue is the SATA power cable, try plugging that into a different port on the psu, and also try swapping in a different cable assuming you have a few left. => But the only power cables you should use are the ones that came with the psu you are using.

Because if the data cable is not plugged in, your drive won't show. And if the power cable is not plugged in, your drive won't show.

We do a lot of fancy diagnostics in these fora. Drivers, OS installs, what have you. Cables usually come about 6th or 7th on the list of things to think about, but in real life I think their importance in "finding the things that go wrong" is about third.

You didn't say what your SSD is but maybe it needs to be replaced. I would do the other stuff first, and then consider that. You can also plug the SSD into a laptop or secondary PC and see if it works there. If it does work, back up your data. It still might need replacing though.

Greg N

sanchez2480

Commendable
Feb 17, 2017
Win X > device manager > disk drives

See if you can find your drive in "disk drives" and if so right click on it and choose "update drivers."

It'll probably just tell you that the best drivers are already installed, but if it actually installs drivers, it might help your problem.

The other question is whether the SATA SSD is listed in the order of booting in UEFI. You might have to experiment. Make it 2nd. Or remove it. See what happens.

SATA DATA. And by the way you might just have a defective SATA data cable, it might just need to be snugged in, it might need to be replaced. At $1 or $2 each you should have some extras, if you don't have extras then go out and buy four or five, and try putting a new SATA cable in. You can try moving the data to a new port on the mobo.

SATA POWER. the other issue is the SATA power cable, try plugging that into a different port on the psu, and also try swapping in a different cable assuming you have a few left. => But the only power cables you should use are the ones that came with the psu you are using.

Because if the data cable is not plugged in, your drive won't show. And if the power cable is not plugged in, your drive won't show.

We do a lot of fancy diagnostics in these fora. Drivers, OS installs, what have you. Cables usually come about 6th or 7th on the list of things to think about, but in real life I think their importance in "finding the things that go wrong" is about third.

You didn't say what your SSD is but maybe it needs to be replaced. I would do the other stuff first, and then consider that. You can also plug the SSD into a laptop or secondary PC and see if it works there. If it does work, back up your data. It still might need replacing though.

Greg N
Hi, thanks for replying,
I've checked my disk drivers but it is not showing

As for the SATA data and power cables, I have already changed both of them and tried to plug them in different ports on the MOBO and PSU, but the SSD still doesn't show. Its only when I power off the PSU and then power it back up, that the SSD is discovered and works properly, for the first boot. Then I power off my PC for the night and its no longer detected when I power it up the next day.

And the SSD type is in the title, but I should've put it with the with the rest of the specs (sorry).
Samsung SSD EVO 860 2TB

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
My personal view is that these multi terabyte humongo SSDs are pushing the envelope of the technology and prone to failure. I could afford whatever I wanted, but on my build I opted for 500 gb because these days that is "lower end". Well I still see 250 gbs out there but not often.

For a 2 TB drive I would probably get a western digital black or red HDD (I always forget which is better) and use 500 gb SSD for OS and another one for miscellaneous storage. The 2 TB drive would be for backups only and only connected once a week while that was happening.

So anyhow about all that is left for you to do is:

1. Put some other known good drive on the exact same cables currently going to your unrecognized SSD and see if it is recognized. If this other drive IS recognized, that points the finger at the unrecognized SSD as defective.

2. If you have a second computer, run a couple SATA power and data cables from the mobo to your unrecognized drive, which you have carried over to it for this purpose, and see if it shows up in that other computer. If it IS NOT recognized, that confirms your diagnosis in no. 1.

The ideal outcome is that the alternate good drive IS recognized in your current build and your 2 T ssd is NOT recognized in the other PC. Because any other outcome means you have a headache figuring out what's going on with RAM mobo or what have you.

Still the smart money here is that you need a new SSD and my 2c is don't get a 2 terabyte one. If you're editing films or something and really want that read/write speed, well you'll have to figure that out. Maybe you're the kind of person who needs just to buy a new 2T SSD every six months.

Greg N

What happens if you switch off the AC mains at the wall socket and then hit the "soft" power on/off button at the front of the case? (The power button should cause the motherboard to switch on the PSU and drain any remaining power from its capacitors)

USAFRet

Titan
There is something to be learned by reading the NEGATIVE (one and two stars) reviews on Newegg. Someone might actually have a technical diagnosis. But at a minimum you might see similar symptoms.
Those 1 Star reviews are a joke.

Samsung Magician does not work with my RAID1 config
Does not come with screws
I bought an Australian market drive and...
I don't know how to clone properly
I didn't have a backup of my data and...

Also, most of those reviews are of the 850 Pro, not the 860.
They get lumped together.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a 1 or 2TB vs a smaller 500GB.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Those 1 Star reviews are a joke.

Samsung Magician does not work with my RAID1 config
Does not come with screws
I bought an Australian market drive and...
I don't know how to clone properly
I didn't have a backup of my data and...

Also, most of those reviews are of the 850 Pro, not the 860.
They get lumped together.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a 1 or 2TB vs a smaller 500GB.

Well having no empirical data I certainly won't argue the merits/demerits of 2 tb. I personally try, and will continue to try for the next few years, to stay away from them in SSD but I do have a 1 tb HDD. It was $50 kind of hard to buy anything smaller. I guess they're out there (in HDD). I might feel differently if I had massive amounts of data to process.

Newegg reviews a person's gotta take it or leave it, but for sure I missed a big indicator when I read all the Newegg reviews for the 1660 TI and found not a single reference to a crash, went ahead and ignored the 15% negative comments on the RX 580, 590--and got three units in a row that crashed like crazy. I succumbed to the enthusiasm of RX 580 users here who liked them and went for the non-representative N of 2 over the more representative N of 40 or so. Now the 1660 is in and it has gotten through these past few days with no crashes. The reviews were spot on. I don't know how the long run reliability will pan out, but I definitely pay attention to reviews both negative and positive. Fortunately I was able to return two of the three bad units so I'm only out $220 on a bad gpu that's still here.

It is annoying when Newegg confounds model numbers under one general review. Amazon ONLY does it that way, Newegg is tricky. Sometimes the tab brings up different reviews, sometimes it doesn't.

I've also found a few reviews that gave me some tips that proved valid. Greg N