Samsung Takes Shot at iPhone 5 in Galaxy S3 Comparison Ad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]rlim[/nom]https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd. [...] 6894_n.jpg"Don't settle for cheap plastic"[/citation]
Clearly the Apple fan that did this didn't even know the specs of the iPhone 5. The Apple A6 SoC doesn't have a quad core CPU, but a dual core.

misterawsome

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Food for thought from an iSheep...My iPhone 4 is on CL for $450 after 2 years of happy use... I had 3 pings in the first 30 minutes. The resale value of a device after 2 years of (great) use trumps that list in Samsung's ad. In the US we all pay for the phone over the life of the contract (which bites, I know) but it's nice to get some value back once your contract is over. I wouldn't be able to sell my Android phone after 2 years of use for anywhere near that amount.From my Nexus 7[/citation]i love apple, from my android tablet

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Well guess what? My phone, the DROID RAZR MAXX, well, about that battery in comparison to any iPhone to date, "It just works" after a full day, no problem at all.

gfair

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Oh yes, we all know how Samsung is a trusted, objective source of comparisons of its product versus the more successful rival. I find it funny that Android fanboys call Apple users sheep, but they get suckered into buying into Samsung's marketing line hook line and sinker. Sheeple S3.

v3rlon

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
That extended list is pretty weak. I could make some joke about Samsuck or SameSong vs crApple and make some nifty extended list for iPhone 5: Let's see:
More Apps
Fits comfortably in the hands of non-NBA players,
Not a cheap piece of plastic
Resale value
Pinch to Zoom (patented!)
Rounded Rectangles (tm)
Saphie crystal camera
f/2.4 aperture camera (vs f/2.63 on the Sammy)
reversible dock connector
full sRGB support
Display isn't oversaturated for color
Better brightness
326 pixels per inch of red and blue as well as green vs 216 in PenTile Galaxy SIII

And the list would be just as valid as the one above. As Churchill's grandchildren would say, "Lies, damn lies, statistics, and marketing." Pick the phone you like and use it.

( http://www.displaymate.com/OLED_Galaxy_S123_ShootOut_1.htm )

jrodil

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Food for thought from an iSheep...My iPhone 4 is on CL for $450 after 2 years of happy use... I had 3 pings in the first 30 minutes. The resale value of a device after 2 years of (great) use trumps that list in Samsung's ad. In the US we all pay for the phone over the life of the contract (which bites, I know) but it's nice to get some value back once your contract is over. I wouldn't be able to sell my Android phone after 2 years of use for anywhere near that amount.From my Nexus 7[/citation]

hmmm, wasn't 3-4 years ago, the iphone was selling almost $400 for 8gb with a contract? you only get to sell it at a higher value right now because people know the name, not the inside specs of it. Now how long has the premium androids been in the market? the margins are so low, they cannibalized the resale value of the phone. if you price the phone hardware vs hardware, I doubt you'll be able to sell your iP4 for the price of a captivate... but hey, apple can market sh!t like it was gold...

v3rlon

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
no Sundragon, that price was only for the initial iPhone from June 29 - Spetmenber 5, 2007 (so 5 years ago). the 199/299/399 has been standard since the 3G.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
It may be silly for some, but I can't buy a phone that doesn't have an RGB display or at least 32gb internal.

So... what does that leave me with other than the #%*$ iPhone?

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]jrodil[/nom]hmmm, wasn't 3-4 years ago, the iphone was selling almost $400 for 8gb with a contract? you only get to sell it at a higher value right now because people know the name, not the inside specs of it. Now how long has the premium androids been in the market? the margins are so low, they cannibalized the resale value of the phone. if you price the phone hardware vs hardware, I doubt you'll be able to sell your iP4 for the price of a captivate... but hey, apple can market sh!t like it was gold...[/citation]

I tried to buy a used GalaxyS2 for less than 250$ and wasn't able to. Ended up buying a Galaxy Nexus for ~ 400$ off Newegg. Using iPhone value retention vs Samsung Galaxy is kinda moot IMO.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
The GS3 is a great phone, but I find it a little too big. I'm sure it's a remarkable device for many users, but it isn't a one size fits all, so let's not get incredibly biased. Portability means a lot to me, in fact it's a necessity. Both are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.