Samsung to Pay Microsoft for Every Android Device Sold

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
FU M$, and people wonder why I despise that convicted monopolist. Samsung just fell off my list of preferred electronics companies.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]djridonkulus[/nom]Kudos to author for the '80s "all your base are belong to us" reference. Nerd humour rules![/citation]

agreed. I didn't think I'd see that around anymore. that gave me extra incentive to read the article

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Samsung have a strong history of producing Windows Mobile handsets based on the previous generations of the operating system - particularly for sale in US markets.

I'm not sure why some people seem to think that them working with Microsoft is something new?

Samsung simply opted for Android as it was progressing at such speed and popularity and Windows Phone 7 was relatively ignored by consumers in the market.

I think that Samsung are actually a bit ahead of the curve here - with Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango), the operating system is a lot more mature. Let's not forget that Nokia are still a huge company with a massive amount of experience engineering smart phones and when they start dropping their Windows Phone 7.5 devices into the market the operating system will no doubt receive a huge boost.

My prediction is that in the next twelve months the big three OS providers (Microsoft, Apple, Google) will gradually get more involved in the lawsuits and the situation will come to a head. We've already seen Google providing patents to HTC they acquired from Motorola Mobility in action against Apple.

They're all going to have to concede that they infringe on each others patents, and the companies that end up paying for all that will no doubt be the equipment manufacturers paying heftier licensing fees.

In twelve months, I think Windows Phone 7 will have a significantly higher market share than it does now - and I wouldn't count out Blackberry just yet. The Bold 9900 stock is due in the UK in approx 1 week.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I don't have any background in this, but I always found it strange that google was able to come into this market and do a better job in a few years then the competition which has been in this market for a decade. Same goes for Chrome.

G

Has anyone considered this all might be a very clever play by Google?

1. Get Microsoft suckling the Android teat by creaming a few dollars off every manufacturer.
2. Completely annihilate WP7, leaving MS no other leg to stand on
3. Allow Apple to win a few patent cases
4. Bait Apple into a massive patent attack on Google
5. Who comes to the rescue of Google? MICROSOFT. $500m-$1b a year buys a lot of MS patent protection!

Hilarious!

boxcode

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
If Google has the power to do so, they need to go after MS directly, rather than letting the little guys (the handset makers) fight these skirmishes.

I don't mind. If it's infringing on patents, then it is infringing no matter how popular it may be.

Since Android was relatively late to the mobile game (if you look at the timeline of Windows Mobile) Microsoft obviously had a bunch of patents built up already prior to 2006. It's rather foolish to believe that Android in fact is completely infringement-free.

In fact we saw Sun/Oracle launch a complaint against Android and Google for infringement of Sun's patent with Dalvik. Google has prior track record of knowingly infringing patents.

In fact, Google giving away Android for "free" is a way for them to avoid such patent claims. This much should be obvious to any enthusiast. But the problem is Google is still making money from this "free" product, so it's rather surprising that Microsoft did not ruthlessly defend their patents.

Simply put, Google and Android has had an easy ride until now thanks to Microsoft. Now, they're stepping their foot down.

G

samsung has its eyes on a windows 8 firmware upgrade on Galaxy Tab 10.1?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Microsoft has contributed nothing to neither Linux, nor Java, nor Android.
Legalized extortion, that's what it is.
US Patent system is THAT broken...

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Since Android was relatively late to the mobile game (if you look at the timeline of Windows Mobile) Microsoft obviously had a bunch of patents built up already prior to 2006. It's rather foolish to believe that Android in fact is completely infringement-free.[/citation]

Oh really? Name a single software patent recognized in EU that is "infridged" by Android? You can't? Guess what: THERE AREN'T ANY. EU DOES NOT recognize software patents!!!

Now, try to name a single MS patent, "infridged" in US. You can't? Oh, well guess what, Microsoft HAS NEVER PUBLICLY NAMED A SINGLE ONE.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Have you ever witnessed one of those moments in history, like Ali doing the rope-a-dope?...That just happened...MS Ali has been on the ropes bobbing back and to while Google Foreman thumps hell out of it, now it seems with this deal Foreman has run out of steam and Ali is going for the knockout[/citation]
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]That is awesome. lol. Definatly Microsoft pulled a rope-a-dope here. lol. Say by by to Android. Microsoft made more money off of Android that Google did.[/citation]

Interesting, I get a -6 thumbs down, but you get a +6 thumbs up for agreeing with me. Some of the people in this forum are mental.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Oh really? Name a single software patent recognized in EU that is "infridged" by Android? You can't? Guess what: THERE AREN'T ANY. EU DOES NOT recognize software patents!!!Now, try to name a single MS patent, "infridged" in US. You can't? Oh, well guess what, Microsoft HAS NEVER PUBLICLY NAMED A SINGLE ONE.[/citation]
It doesn't need to name them as no patent lawsuit has been raised, MS has asked these companies to pay royalties and they have paid up.

Are you seriously suggesting that Samsung would just pay up for an "easy life" when they are in a bitter lawsuit with Apple over something a lot more frivilous involving rounded corners.

You don't know the inner workings of the licencing deal between them but I am prepared to bet the farm on Samsung knowing the MS own software aspects of Android and paying up because if it came to a lawsuit it would be a slamdunk for MS.

Google doesn't get involved in this because it doesn't "sell" Android, if they ever did then MS would be asking them for money too and wether you agree with software patents or not the simple fact is if MS were ever asked to prove that they created a string of 1's and 0's that did XYZ feature in Android you can bet they would have detailed files, thousands of man hours and millions of dollars of R&D budget to show it.

MS helped create Android - end of.

G

googles purchase of motorola mobility was to get their patents in order to try and fight future infringment lawsuits,so google understands their in a very weak position and now the d.o.j is questioning the deal which may kill it leaving google even more vulnerable after microsoft,rimm and apple purchased nortel networks patent portfolio

Status
Not open for further replies.