Samsung Unveils Youm: Flexible, Bendable OLED Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Haven't they been dragging this tired old thing out at every tech show for the last two years??? Since then, not one product has ever been made to use a bendable screen.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]i saw this technology when OLED screens 1st make its way back in 2003.[/citation]

I think you're referring to when the screens couldn't be bent without permanently damaging them. Look at the videos again carefully and you'll see the screens got damaged.

loneninja

Distinguished
[citation][nom]adgjlsfhk[/nom]This seems less useful because even if the screen is bendable, can you make a bendable phone?[/citation]

I doubt the goal is to make a flexible screen, the advantage to this screen is it would never break from dropping the phone.

tarzan2001

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
[citation][nom]adgjlsfhk[/nom]This seems less useful because even if the screen is bendable, can you make a bendable phone?[/citation]

I think it's more about the screen being able to dissipate the force of impact when dropped so that it doesn't crack, whereas a rigid glass screen absorbs most of the force and cracks.

(I could be wrong about that. I switched from engineering into medicine because I suck at physics, so don't hate me if my explanation above is way off)! :p

kewlmunky

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

Sometime last year, or maybe even in 2011, I believe nokia had a video that Toms did an article on about a bendable device using a bendable screen prototype. It showed gestures for zooming in and out on photos based on concave and convex bending. Also twisting it certain ways had functionality. The only thing they couldn't put in the device was a batter so they had it hooked up to a power source.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]So now we can finally get massive tablets that we can fold to fit in our pockets.[/citation]

Only themscreen is bendable and not the hardware components. I think they may make something like the Padfone 2. A compact smartphone with a foldable screen that converts that converts the phone into a tablet.

grndzro

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
You guys are forgetting price. 1000$ phone after 3 yr contract......no thanks. We won't see these in the wild for a few years yet. What's preventing a standard LCD from being on the side of a phone? No thanks I don't want a bendy LCD on my phone jacking up the cost.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]grndzro[/nom]What's preventing a standard LCD from being on the side of a phone?[/citation]
LCDs are rigid, if you want an LCD on the side, you have to add the whole thing including backlight, panel driver and all the other support stuff.

With bendable OLED, you simply use a slightly larger screen and bend the edge. If you were going to use flexible OLED due to shatter-proof properties, bending it for edge display comes at nearly no extra cost nor complexity.

As far as cost goes, I am quite confident OLED will get much cheaper as processes and materials mature. Silkscreening or inkjet-printing OLED panels (the holy grail for OLED manufacturing) would be much cheaper than the high-temperature vapor deposition process used for LCDs.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]loneninja[/nom]I doubt the goal is to make a flexible screen, the advantage to this screen is it would never break from dropping the phone.[/citation]

Clearly you didn't watch the video.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]tarzan2001[/nom]I think it's more about the screen being able to dissipate the force of impact when dropped so that it doesn't crack, whereas a rigid glass screen absorbs most of the force and cracks.(I could be wrong about that. I switched from engineering into medicine because I suck at physics, so don't hate me if my explanation above is way off)![/citation]

...and neither did you.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]i saw this technology when OLED screens 1st make its way back in 2003.[/citation]

Oh really? So almost 10 years ago... hmm. And how many devices use this tech? I'll wait.............

here's my take, whether it is to make a bendable phone or what, the thing is, the technology is here. so it's up to those creative minds to think of ways on how to use this technology. screen on the side is one way, for sure others will think of better ways to take advantage.

i'd like one of these on my arm :) even if i have to wear a bit of wire

chocostain

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Anyone of you saw the video for iPhone where the screen was transparent?
Now that's what I'm waiting for.

Why will you bend your phone in the first place?

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
You guys know what this means right? CURVED MONITORS! (yes I know they already exist)

Imagine a 4K resolution on an, oh lets say 40 inch WIDE screen (not diagonal measured) you could have some impressive views!

dons20

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Not sure if I really love the idea of a bendy phone, kinda seems strange....but oh well at least it'll be fun to play with :D

Status
Not open for further replies.