[SOLVED] samsung warranty is useless

• Thread starter Deleted member 2849646
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2849646

I contacted samsung about seeing faulty blocks on my samsung SSD. Here's what they sent me (It's insulting!)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your answer.

Please be informed that we can not provide any warranty service for this SSD due to a brokne connector:

View: https://imgur.com/a/lk2XCJI

Herewith an excerpt of the extent of Samsung's limited warranty below:

We can therefore, no longer provide service for this product.

We hope that we have sufficiently informed you and do apologize for any inconveniences that this might or might have caused.

Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

View: https://imgur.com/a/SGHhwAw

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/ Best regards/ Met vriendelijke groet

name removed
Customer support team
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe they would dishonour a warranty request due to a minor scruff on the plastic next to a connector. Unbelievable. Guess their warranty counts for nought! Be wary guys! On that note, does anyone know of an SSD manufacturer with better customer service? WD or sandisk any better when things go wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I contacted samsung about seeing faulty blocks on my samsung SSD. Here's what they sent me (It's insulting!)
Dear Sir,

Please be informed that we can not provide any warranty service for this SSD due to a brokne connector:

We hope that we have sufficiently informed you...
Dear Sir,

We hope that we have sufficiently informed you and do apologize for any inconveniences that this might or might have caused.

name removed
Customer support team

I can't believe they would dishonour a warranty request due to a minor scruff on the plastic next to a connector. Unbelievable. Guess their warranty counts for nought! Be wary guys! On that note, does anyone know of an SSD manufacturer with better customer service? WD or sandisk any better when things go wrong?
Looks like the only thing that's busted there is a plastic tab.
I don't think that would impact perf.
Samsung is being a little picky.

D

Deleted member 2849646

Looks like the only thing that's busted there is a plastic tab.
I don't think that would impact perf.
Samsung is being a little picky.
Can’t believe they went out of their way to screenshot the t&c and highlight it lol. Says a lot about the culture of the company and how they treat customers. I’m going to be avoiding samsung from now on. When things go wrong they have shown me they don’t care. Their warranty isn’t worth the paper it’s written on in my opinion!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Dear Sir,

name removed
Customer support team

That tab has a bit more than a scuff it looks more broke to me I would also turn down the warranty if it was me.

A lot of places use a 3rd party to handle warranties and they have to justify them being used by saving the company money.

The only Samsung SSD I have sent in for warranty was a RMA to Newegg and from the day I sent it in I had a new one at my door in 7 days.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2849646

That tab has a bit more than a scuff it looks more broke to me I would also turn down the warranty if it was me.

A lot of places use a 3rd party to handle warranties and they have to justify them being used by saving the company money.

The only Samsung SSD I have sent in for warranty was a RMA to Newegg and from the day I sent it in I had a new one at my door in 7 days.
I personally disagree. Way I see it is that they didn’t even acknowledge the issue I raised (bad blocks internally on the memory module) and started by looking for loopholes in their t&c’s to see how they could get out of doing anything. I’m happy to hear newegg replaced your faulty drive. The small chip in the plastic outer case does not in any way impair the internal components. I can still boot up and use the drive normally. To turn down a warranty inspection and possible repair based on something so superficial is just insulting and evil unethical corporate behaviour. I’ve lost my respect for samsung over this.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I personally disagree. Way I see it is that they didn’t even acknowledge the issue I raised (bad blocks internally on the memory module) and started by looking for loopholes in their t&c’s to see how they could get out of doing anything. I’m happy to hear newegg replaced your faulty drive. The small chip in the plastic outer case does not in any way impair the internal components. I can still boot up and use the drive normally. To turn down a warranty inspection and possible repair based on something so superficial is just insulting and evil unethical corporate behaviour. I’ve lost my respect for samsung over this.
When they see user damage to the drive they stop checking the drive then.

To turn down a warranty inspection and possible repair based on something so superficial is just insulting and evil unethical corporate behaviour.
This is the general approach by all companies because warranties are a big cost (giving away free product). If there's anything that they can use to deny warranty, they will. I've had to do hard drive warranties and WD has a 14 page document on how to pack the drive or the warranty will be void. The days of laissez-faire warranty are gone my friend. :(
When they see user damage to the drive they stop checking the drive then.
Pretty much, and it's always been this way. Seagate has a document showing what physical damage voids a warranty--it's a lot less damage than one would expect.

D

Deleted member 2849646

This is the general approach by all companies because warranties are a big cost (giving away free product). If there's anything that they can use to deny warranty, they will. I've had to do hard drive warranties and WD has a 14 page document on how to pack the drive or the warranty will be void. The days of laissez-faire warranty are gone my friend. :(
Pretty much, and it's always been this way. Seagate has a document showing what physical damage voids a warranty--it's a lot less damage than one would expect.
And I paid a premium for the pro samsung model too thinking their 10 year warranty counted for something lol. From now on I won't bother looking at the warranty and will instead buy everything cheap and just bin when they go bad. That's the kind of behaviour these crappy warranties are promoting - at an age when everyone is talking about environmentally friendly too, lol - oh the irony!

D

Deleted member 2849646

There's no environmental issue here; it's not like Samsung was going to repair this drive if they accepted it for RMA. It would be sent away for recycling anyway. Not accepting user-damaged parts for RMA is pretty standard.

Recycling is still environmentally friendly, compared to simply binning it, which is the alternative if they cannot be repaired. Maybe the manufacturers should take back their old electronics and actively recycle then as god knows how many people throw their old drives in the bin to go to landfill, once they reach the end of their lives.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Recycling is still environmentally friendly, compared to simply binning it, which is the alternative if they cannot be repaired. Maybe the manufacturers should take back their old electronics and actively recycle then as god knows how many people throw their old drives in the bin to go to landfill, once they reach the end of their lives.

The OP is arguing that him buying a new SSD instead of getting a replacement via RMA is environmentally unfriendly. But It doesn't matter whether the OP sends the SSD for recycling rather than Samsung; it's the same material and the same resources have been used.

D

Deleted member 2849646

The OP is arguing that him buying a new SSD instead of getting a replacement via RMA is environmentally unfriendly. But It doesn't matter whether the OP sends the SSD for recycling rather than Samsung; it's the same material and the same resources have been used.
That doesn't make sense :/. If I got the drive replaced by samsung, they would recycle the old drive. Now if the drive failed, what do I do? Do I beg samsung to take it back to recycle it or just bin it? I think I'd probably just bin it as posting it to samsung would be an addition expense. Now if samsung had a program (and other companies in general) whereby they took back old/faulty drives for free it'd save the consumer binning them. Stopping them going to landfill is good because the materials from the drives can be recycled instead of mining for new materials. In that respect it is much more environmentally friendly to recycle than to bin and let the old consumer electronics go into landfill.

That's a discussion for another thread though so i'll stop there before the admin gets mad at me! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.