Question Samsung Xpress M2825DW Printer Tray Spring Mechanism

Mar 17, 2021
As in the title I have a Samsung B&W printer. It suddenly started saying it had no paper when it definitely did.
If I pull the paper tray out the spring is in the "Down" position. The paper is lying flat instead of being pushed up to make the paper sensor or roller see it's there.
If I pop the spring up with the little white plastic button on the left side of the tray, the paper tray won't close. The white button hits the spot that should push it in to release the tray and stops.
If I leave the paper tray down, it closes but shows no paper.
The little white lever/button on the side is not being pushed in to pop the tray back up.
If I flip the printer up on it's side and watch the tray slide in from underneath, the button will push in and the spring will (sometimes) pop up so maybe there's something else damaged.
Anyone had anything like this and fixed it (Other than just buying a paper tray)?
Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Weakened spring perhaps?

Is the spring removable?

Sometimes you can take a weakened spring and stretch it just enough that it will properly function again.

However, the potential for overstretching makes that a bit risky.

So, for the time being, do not try that. Instead try to take a couple of photographs and post via imgur.

====

Also is the following Service Manual a match to your printer?

https://manualzz.com/doc/839734/samsung-m282x-series-service-manual

Work through the troubleshooting sections. Section 4 starting after Page 3-17.

Mar 17, 2021
Hi there. Thanks for your response. I did check the troubleshooting guide but there wasn't anything that really fits the situation.

I've included a link to two pictures. The first shows the tray with the paper up and the little white plastic "lever" is circled in red. The second shows the tray in the down position. The button stays the same. It pushes in to release the spring and then snaps back into the same position.

Spring in the UP position: tray can't be closed.
Spring in the DOWN position: tray can be closed but doesn't spring back up once it's inside so the printer sees it as no paper.

Ralston18

Titan
If you manually work the mechanisms do you feel any stickiness or resistance?

Any scratches, rub marks, or signs of wear with respect to moving parts?

What is that spotty dark matter running along the slide? Will it clean off? Do you see it anywhere else?

How smoothly does that metal shelf supporting the paper work? Does it go up and down easily or seem to get hung up/stuck in some manner?

Are you able to completely remove the paper tray and use bright flashlight to inspect the paper tray bay?

Look for some obstruction, damage, or misalignment that is causing the paper tray to not spring back.