Samsung's 20 nm 8 Gb DDR4 Server Memory Enters Mass Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Server memory has generally continued to use green PCBs. Rest assured that so long as there are desktops with upgradable DIMMs, the trend of using flashy colors and gaudy heatsinks will continue.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think high densities are the most interesting benefit. In that sense, performance just needs to scale with density. Actually, if DDR4 is going to top out at a mere 3200 MHz, then it won't even accomplish that.

The big memory performance gains on the horizon are going to come from stacking technologies like AMD/Hynix' HBM and Micron's HMC (which Intel is allegedly using in Knight's Landing, but Nvidia has supposedly abandoned).

It's interesting to contemplate the implications of these developments on computer architecture. Perhaps we'll see off-chip memory becoming relegated to server applications, where big disk caches and huge in-memory datastructures are required.

unray

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
by *the greens*, dovah-chan was probably referring to those

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Samsung/MV-3V4G3/

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Hmm, something does not add (or rather multiply) up here... How do you make a 128GB module out of 8Gbit chips? You'd need 128 chips on a single module to achieve that. Even a 32GB module would need 32x 8Gbit chips and I thought a module is limited to 16-18 chips. 3D lithography does not increase the number of chips that can fit into a module, it increases the potential capacity of a single chip. I imagine what the author intended to convey is that 3D lithography would allow for up to 64Gbit chips to be developed with the same 20nm process. 16x 64Gbit chips equals one 128GB module.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Probably some confusion wtih Gb and GB:

" The company announced that it is now mass-producing 8 Gb DDR4 memory based on its 20 nm manufacturing process. Samsung already started production of 32 GB modules earlier this month, "

it seems that Gb and GB are reversed: 8GB (64Gb) - 32Gb (4GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.