Samsung's 40-inch Microsoft Surface Demonstrated on Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
1080p is horrible resolution for a 40" computing device display... heck it's horrible for a 20" computing device display. Crank the resolution up (4k hd would be reasonable), give it enough GPU and computing umph to run it snappily... and you've got a cool system - but it better cost less than $2500. (not at all demanding am I?)

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]1080p is horrible resolution for a 40" computing device display... heck it's horrible for a 20" computing device display. Crank the resolution up (4k hd would be reasonable), give it enough GPU and computing umph to run it snappily... and you've got a cool system - but it better cost less than $2500. (not at all demanding am I?)[/citation]
Nooo, not at all... a 40" 4k display would cost more than $2500 by itself.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
This reminds me of the movies when they would have a display laying flat like this and have battle plans or something on it. In a few years it will probably have 3D (without glasses) and be just like those movies. Cool to look at, but not sure I need one.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks that gigantic ass bezel kills the "interactive surface" illusion? I think the experience would be more effective (and more unique) if the entire surface of the table were interactive and dynamic. The large scale multi touch interactivity looks great, the physical shell not so much. It looks like you're interacting with a TV monitor that happens to be rotated 90 degrees so it can also function as a table surface, instead of it being an interactive table surface.

G

Looks clunky to me. Typical Microsoft. The user interface has such a long delay you can see users struggling to move and re-size objects.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Am I the only one who thinks that gigantic ass bezel kills the "interactive surface" illusion?[/citation]
...guess so.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]dryheat[/nom]Looks clunky to me. Typical Microsoft. The user interface has such a long delay you can see users struggling to move and re-size objects.[/citation]

I would probably blame Samsung on the hardware front.
It didn't look as smooth as it should have been.

The touch panel's resolution (NO not the screens) is probably fairly low for it's size as well.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]asukafan2001[/nom]so whats the practical purpose of this?[/citation]
I'm seeing it well-used for commercial applications and presentations, where a very large screen is used for interaction. In fact, this is where it commonly is used. Surface also seems to use a lot of Microsoft developer tools, and if there's one thing that Microsoft is good at, is kissing developer ass.

yanjustin98

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Seems like an interesting and daring approach into the business community with this item. Probably won't be used nearly as much for personal usages. Very interesting idea. I think this might be able to develop even further. For some companies though, they will probably still stick to a large screen or pull down screen with a computer hooked up to it. Who knows?

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]in_the_loop[/nom]The link to the 15 inch 1920x1080 for the person who said he would do backflips if there is a monitor at 20 inch with that resolution didn't work, here is another one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supersonic [...] 0695888030[/citation]
The resolution for that 15.4" screen is 1440 x 900. It will accept 1080p as input, but it won't output at that resolution.
Although I'd like to see more of the 1080p screens for 20 inch and below, they are very rare. The 13" Sony Z does 1080p, but the basic config laptop costs $2000.

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
lemme guess, apple will sue for similar designs, bringing the "side-by-side" image of them as proof in court. of course the surface's image will be scaled down *smirk*

Status
Not open for further replies.