Samsung's Active 3D Glasses Gets Priced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]ktla[/nom]It's hillarious reading today's version of the folks that laughed at color television as a "fad" or a "gimmick" and are amazed that any company would invest money here."I personally like my tv non-3d..."Priceless.[/citation]

Until I can utilize it to watch more than 10 (I don't know how many channels are in 3D, but that number seems generous) channels in 3D then I'll call it a gimmick.
Or do you like to pay 'N'% more to be an early adapter and then a year later watch someone pay less for higher quality\better features?

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
i am waiting for no glasses 3d.
this 3d happening now will fail.you really think folks are going to shell out hundreds of dollars for glasses on top of the thousands you spend for a decent TV.3d tv = another greedy idea

flea420

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]ktla[/nom]It's hillarious reading today's version of the folks that laughed at color television as a "fad" or a "gimmick" and are amazed that any company would invest money here."I personally like my tv non-3d..."Priceless.[/citation]

I agree. I prefer my tv non-3D. I found avatar to have issues with focusing and I felt the movie was in a boxed frame as I sat their wearing the glasses. I dont wear glasses normally so for me it was distracting and unpleasent.

3D is a fad, just like it was years ago.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I've had a Samsung 3D DLP TV with the glasses for a year. The 3D effect can be AMAZING! I think that there is little appeal with every day TV watching. I'd also like to point out that $150 for the glasses is the same price that they have been sold for 2 years.

Finally... ACTIVE shutter glasses are really the ONLY way to bring 3D into the home without MASSIVE cost. Polarization requires 2 panels. Anaglyph compromises picture quality.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Ridiculous pricing. I bought a Mitsubishi 65" 1080P dlp tv in December for $900 new. Reviews on cnet show it isn't significantly "worse" in picture than a lcd/led, and I couldn't care less that it is about 12" deep instead of 3". My entertainment center is several feet deep anyway.

When 65" 3dtv's are in the $1k-$1500 range, I'll be interested. I'm guessing that'll happen about the time this new tv needs to be replaced anyway (5+ years).

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I LOVE 3D movies, I can't get enough. A super intersting new technology that still impreses me. Imagine XBOX in 3D??? How much longer....not much I'm thinking, probably next generation of consoles.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Being blind in one eye my cues for depth perception come from shadows and not binocular vision hence normal TV is already 3d to me. I will not be investing money in this fad, i will save my dosh for the 6000 series Radeons and a processor upgrade in the near future. It must suck to be normal.

Heoytes

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Personally, I'm stuck on anaglyph drivers. Four pairs of glasses for under $20, no hardware required. And you get to keep the movie that the glasses came with. :)

lord_mur2002

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
The thing is I got my Samsung 50" for $999 CAN. so with 5 sets of glasses I am still paying less then the Vizio... But the picture on my TV is so amazing coming from my PC or even my Xbox360.
The colour and quality of the total unit is great as well.
The stand looks much better then most of the other sets that were on display at Best Buy and it was priced lower then the 42" Tv's that were around it.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
call me crazy but i actually find the price rather attractive. Then again, My dad always buys the best TV tech stuff so I'm used to seeing 3k+ for the tvs we buy in our house

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Screw that, I want five bezeless (completely, not even 1mm will satisfy) 22" 2560x1600 240Hz 3D Samsung AMOLED monitors. Use all of them in portrait mode.
Then play Crysis.

=)

Dawgsoverrebs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]pochacco007[/nom]what amazes me is that there are companies who are investing in this stupid idea! did hd do anything for tv?! absolutely not. what will making tv 3d going to do anything?[/citation]

Obviously coming from someone who only watches spongebob on his 13 tube with built in vhs player

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Currently it would be like trying to sell a new console that is really no better than the current versions for 10x the amount and then saying 'Oh, and there will only be one or maybe two games released for the system each year!'.

I really see this catching on... lol

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]3d t.v. is just too expensive right now, that and the history of 3D shows it as a fad the comes and goes every few decades. So until it shows it is going to stay and the price comes down I'll pass.[/citation]
It's not only "too expensive" but is outrageously shameless PR. There are NO 3D TVS. There are normal TVs with, maybe IR sender for shutter glasses. There are NO technical problems to equip existing TV with a kit that would support that. Oh, and neither should that cost a fortune.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
the idea of having to put on glasses to watch a show or to watch a video game tournament fight or etc.... isn't going to work to for the masses. if all the tv's in the world went 3d, everyone would have to carry with them a pair of 3d glasses everytime they left the house because one would need them if they happened to stop by a place like times square ny to watch the jumbo tron tv or something interesting happened on tv. how would you watch tv without those glasses? that's right you can't and that is a hassle that isn't going to work.

slrmichael

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Not only are the glasses look extremely ugly, uncomfortable, and at certain angles the glasses go black. Terrible if you want to lay down and watch a 3D movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.