Samsung's Fast 256GB SSD Goes Into Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
200mb/s max write speed? Now we're cooking. I wonder what the sustainable write speed is though. They only other one in the ballpark is Intel's X-25E.

I also have to wonder if the lawsuit by Spansion will have any effect on this though. A court order could stop sales.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Lol,

Who cares how fast it is? It's MLC. One way street. No good for a computer that has a human controlling it. It's good for a one way data set where it doesn't have to access data all over itself constantly. Something Windows would rape it doing.

Mass producing for who? Pffft.

Go make this tech better. What a waste of `pre-market'.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I'm sure the hardware is awesome. But I'll wait until after AHCI drivers are mature. I guess this will happen about the time Windows 7 is finished.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i think hard drive makers should start their SSD research and development now.
in 2 years, this could get mainstream even in desktops that combine an SSD and hard disks.

smfrazz

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I haven't followed this topic much so please forgive the ignorance of my question. What couldn't we just use a very fast SD or CF card as the OS boot drive? wouldn't that at least provide much faster access to the OS and cache files? Amy I missing something here? If that works then under the same idea, couldn't one use those same fast SD or CF cards for installation of games? Plug in your card of COD - World at War and your off and running.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]I'm sure the hardware is awesome. But I'll wait until after AHCI drivers are mature. I guess this will happen about the time Windows 7 is finished.[/citation]

I was going to rate you up, but then you said "you guess" which is absurd. This is going to happen with Windows 7, it's already been said. Of course, with the large variety of SSDs on the market, I think Windows 7 could very well make some under-performing SDDs look better, and some top ones drop in speed. It's just like a graphics card with bad drivers vs optimized ones. Current testing of SSDs seems to semi-void, seeing as how Windows 7 could change a lot of things.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]smfrazz[/nom]What couldn't we just use a very fast SD or CF card as the OS boot drive? wouldn't that at least provide much faster access to the OS and cache files? Amy I missing something here? If that works then under the same idea, couldn't one use those same fast SD or CF cards for installation of games? Plug in your card of COD - World at War and your off and running.[/citation]

Three words. Interface, size, longevity. I think it's self explanatory.

The interface of these cards isn't fast enough. SSDs are designed in a way that allows more simultaneous access to parts of the flash at once, which means you have to have a lot of bandwidth which only Sata currently provides (there are other interfaces too, but SATA is used currently for HDDs). Furthermore, SSDs have better wear-leveling algorithms, flash cards do not. This makes them better suited for long term storage and repeated use. Flash cards are only cheap because they lack the need for a good, fast controller that has a wide bus and can sort out information quickly to various sectors. This is where size comes in too. SD and CF cards are designed to be portable and small, not particularly fast. They are only intended for use as storage, so they are slow. Fast by older standards, plenty fast for basic small storage too, but if you've ever copied songs to an MP3 player you know that moving massive files or installing an OS would take awhile. SSDs are also better magnetically shielded, as they are designed to be put right next to electronics. I wouldn't put an SD card with valuable information on it too close to my speakers which contain magnets, but my Raptor X hard drive spins right next to my speaker inside my case on my office table just fine for years.

FilthPig2004

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]I wouldn't put an SD card with valuable information on it too close to my speakers which contain magnets, but my Raptor X hard drive spins right next to my speaker inside my case on my office table just fine for years.[/citation]
I was going to rate you up, but then you suggested that a magnetic field might cause data stored on an SD card to become corrupt, which is absurd. Bits are flipped electrically in NAND flash, not magnetically. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAND_flash

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
To the author:

Please try to be a bit more consistent.
Originally stated to have sequential read and write speeds of 200 MB/s and 160 MB/s, Samsung has since been able to boost the drive’s write speed up to 200 MB/s and read speed up to 220 MB/s.
If both set of are direct quotes, then it's ok. But if either one (or in this case, both) are not then keep things consistent and follow the order of the first set.

Otherwise, good article.

Status
Not open for further replies.