News Samsung's First OLED Gaming Monitor Will Launch in Q4 2022

Metteec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
An obvious comparison with the new Samsung G8QNB is the Alienware AW3423DW, the first commercially available QD-OLED monitor, that uses the same Samsung panel. A few things that could make a significant difference:

• The generation of GSYNC/FreeSync is important. The AW3423DW GSYNC ultimate chip is not able to deliver 10-bit color at 175 Hz. You need to reduce to 144 Hz to get 10-bit; however, most people do not notice a difference on this monitor between 10-bit @ 144 Hz versus 8-bit @ 175 Hz;
  • Smaller footprint could be helpful. The AW3423DW is not as heavy as IPS panels, but still takes up a lot of desk space.
  • Screen coating on the AW3423DW absorbs light, and in bright conditions, blacks can appear grey. If Samsung uses polarized coating, like on its C9, the G8QNB could be superior in bright conditions.
  • G8QNB's built-in speakers are a nice touch.
  • Alienware offers an industry leading 3-year burn-in protection/advanced replacement warranty on the AW3423DW. OLED TVs of yesterday experienced horrible burn-in problems. Samsung typically offers 1-year warranty.
  • The Alienware AW3423DW starts at $1,299 plus tax and shipping. I would imagine Samsung's offering would be at or less than the Alienware.

Reactions: thestryker

court655

Commendable
Oct 6, 2021
I for one am sorely disappointed. Why go backward but instill next-gen tech? Not even 4k or 5k, a mere 34inch while they make gaming ultra wides at 49". I guess affordability? But let's face it, it's gonna be pricey all the same. Not sure what the plan was behind this.

Reactions: UnCertainty08

UnCertainty08

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
I for one am sorely disappointed. Why go backward but instill next-gen tech? Not even 4k or 5k, a mere 34inch while they make gaming ultra wides at 49". I guess affordability? But let's face it, it's gonna be pricey all the same. Not sure what the plan was behind this.

I am also sorely disappointed.

Why did they choose 1440?

I have C49RG90, the model prior to the G9, 49" ultra wide 5120x1440.
I also have QN90A 55" 4K.

I was really looking forward to this monitor until I saw the resolution.

Samsung could have released a great product.

An obvious comparison with the new Samsung G8QNB is the Alienware AW3423DW, the first commercially available QD-OLED monitor, that uses the same Samsung panel. A few things that could make a significant difference:

• The generation of GSYNC/FreeSync is important. The AW3423DW GSYNC ultimate chip is not able to deliver 10-bit color at 175 Hz. You need to reduce to 144 Hz to get 10-bit; however, most people do not notice a difference on this monitor between 10-bit @ 144 Hz versus 8-bit @ 175 Hz;
  • Smaller footprint could be helpful. The AW3423DW is not as heavy as IPS panels, but still takes up a lot of desk space.
  • Screen coating on the AW3423DW absorbs light, and in bright conditions, blacks can appear grey. If Samsung uses polarized coating, like on its C9, the G8QNB could be superior in bright conditions.
  • G8QNB's built-in speakers are a nice touch.
  • Alienware offers an industry leading 3-year burn-in protection/advanced replacement warranty on the AW3423DW. OLED TVs of yesterday experienced horrible burn-in problems. Samsung typically offers 1-year warranty.
  • The Alienware AW3423DW starts at $1,299 plus tax and shipping. I would imagine Samsung's offering would be at or less than the Alienware.

The other difference is that by not having the GSYNC module the power consumption, especially in low power modes, ought to be a fair bit lower. The fact that this has an 1800R curve unlike Samsung's standard 1000R makes me pretty happy.

I'm not in the market for a new display yet, but these two are certainly towards the top of what I would want.

Disappointed that we're going to (seemingly) go 6+ months with just a single 34" 21:9 QD-OLED panel on the market. Supposedly just to absorb/pad the high cost, but 27" and 32" monitors are still the most common. What do you suppose a 27" 16:9 QD-OLED would cost?

I HATE the recently released 1000R curvature.

The AW3423DW GSYNC ultimate chip is not able to deliver 10-bit color at 175 Hz. You need to reduce to 144 Hz to get 10-bit; however, most people do not notice a difference on this monitor between 10-bit @ 144 Hz versus 8-bit @ 175 Hz;
Does the AW3423DW actually have a GSync ultimate module inside? Haven't heard much/anything about those in quite a few years. Especially little mention since Nvidia started supporting VESA Adaptive Sync. Does the GSU module (alone) still cost ~$500? Not sure if the GSync Ultimate and GSync HDR modules are the same, or if there's 3 different GSync modules now. Kindof assumed GSync modules weren't being included in any new monitors since the January 2019 Adaptive Sync adoption.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that this FPGA alone makes up $500 of the final price point of these new displays, let alone the costly DDR4 memory.

Last edited:

TMRichard

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
Holy dickens, why the hell can't we just have a nice, 4K OLED, 27-28" 16:9 panel. I don't want or need Ultra Wide, bendable, smart - Just a nice, plain, flat, 4K, 120Hz, OLED panel.

Metteec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
The AW3423DW does have a G-SYNC Ultimate module. Some users complain of noticeable fan noise from the module, but my experience is my tower produces louder ambient noise that makes the monitor's fan unnoticeable. Edit: There is a significant cost for G-SYNC Ultimate module, though it is difficult to quantify. The $500 figure was from 2018, though I see $200 premium from G-SYNC Ultimate to FreeSync monitors of similar caliber. Reference the Acer CP7271K GSYNC Ultimate versus the Acer XV273K FreeSync, both 27" 4K @ 144Hz at $699 and $459, respectively.

The 27-28" 4K monitor market is too crowded with $300-$400 devices. Samsung made significant progress in increasing yields of its QD-OLED panels, but they are still low, and the costs still high. I doubt many would be willing to pay $700+ for a 27" QD-OLED panel right now, which is why Samsung targeted more expensive and larger formats that offer greater margin. However, Samsung will abandon LCD entirely. They intend to manufacture solely QD-OLED panels for TVs and monitors by Q1 2024 (Eun-Jin, Kim. "Samsung Display's QD-OLED Display Production Yield Reaches 85%." Business Korea, 5 Jul. 2022). That is great news for consumers seeking smaller QD-OLED panels, and I would estimate seeing a few available by Q3 2023. We are witnessing a revolution in monitors, with thinner, lighter, and more vibrant displays within reach of most gamers. It is really an exciting time to be a gamer.

Last edited:

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Holy dickens, why the hell can't we just have a nice, 4K OLED, 27-28" 16:9 panel. I don't want or need Ultra Wide, bendable, smart - Just a nice, plain, flat, 4K, 120Hz, OLED panel.

LG needs to make a C2-like 32'' and 40'' tailored for PC so burn-in is not an issue and we can all be happy with premium quality for a fair price.