Samsung's New External DVD Drives are Thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I can't imagine needing an external DVD drive. My current desktop doesn't have one and I haven't had a single instance where I wish that it did. And it's 2+ years old now. In fact, I haven't used any physical media in years. Everything is available digitally now.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
the only thing ive ever used my dvd drive was for installing windows. that being said, case manufacturers should start giving buyers the option to buy drive-bayless cases, maybe shrink it down a bit, or make it water cooling friendly. just a thought.

even better would be for drive manufacturers to build these with bluray compaaibility. if i ever want to get one, this would in my radar.

I've used a DVD drive for a few reasons in the last year including burning files, watching movies, installing programs. Though even I question the need for one, since given limited space I think a second HDD in a laptop is a lot more useful than a laptop and have been debating heavily if I want to remove the DVD rom in my laptop for a second HDD.
That said I don't think Ultrabook users will have any care for them.

teddiebear

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Not everyone is as lucky as america. Here in australia, we have speed limits AND download ljmits with MOST of our isp's. Having an optical drive is essential to some of us, gamers especially when you have to download a full game plus patches, which can take up to 4-5 days to do! So buying a hardcopy of a game is needed to save time plus limits. Sad i know but seriously, some of us nedd optical drives...........especially ME!

teddiebear

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Thats 1 thing im angry at some game companies like 'blizzard' who sell a "hardcopy" get it home to install and have to download the f***ing game anyway! Can save money by just buying/downloading online but speeds & limits wont allow it in timely fashion

ickibar1234

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
Curious why it isn't it Bluray compatible? Yes it makes sense it can be powered by 1 USB 3 port since USB 3 can provide 5 watts of power.

Can it spin CDs at "24x" like normal laptop sized optical drives, or slower since it is thinner? EDIT: Seems like it is the full 24x like normal mobile optical drives

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I can't imagine needing an external DVD drive. My current desktop doesn't have one and I haven't had a single instance where I wish that it did. And it's 2+ years old now. In fact, I haven't used any physical media in years. Everything is available digitally now.
Exactly why it is an optional external add-on. I would rather them keep it out of the ultrabooks and even laptops to keep pricing down.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I don't write almost any discs but probably watch two movies per week from Netflix or from my personal catalog on my computer using my optical drive. Outside of movie watching, even with a 30 Mbps down Internet connection (better than most of America) and no cap I still don't want to wait for my games to download when discs are faster. Especially when installing huge games like those in the Total War series.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
And some people can't imagine needing a desktop computer like yours. Imagine better.

Status
Not open for further replies.