Samsung's Solution To Wireless Charging Fragmentation: Use All The Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

allawash

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
What I can't understand is how the USB standards committee, or whoever controls the design of USB in general, dropped the ball on this. Why does a USB connector have to be so complicated? The device to be hooked up should just have an open port with the pins in a ring around the inside, the cable should just have pins on the outside. This hole with a circuit board that fits inside a connector that also fits in a hole is antiquated thinking. Or better yet, magnetic connectors. I think Apple has gone this route, no? With the number of changes to USB mini/micro connector over the last ten years, they could have fixed the problem with broken ports and bent pins.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
@allawash, Before commenting please keep your thoughts ON TOPIC. Also, if you are going to comment, maybe you should be aware of the latest FACTS. Here, let me help you read up on USB Type-C.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/usb-type-c-hands-on-its-here-and-its-great/

If I am not mistaken the Nokia/Microsoft Lumia 830 was the first device to use both standards in the same device.

We are at such a stupid impass right now. PMA has support by the companies that make and deploy chargers, while Qi is what is in the vast majority of phones and devices. It is a format war that just needs to end.

Simon Anderson

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
@Schizofrog it would be a very boring world where everyone always ensured they had all the "facts"... we wouldn't have any need for comments/forums would we?

Naturally Apple will also introduce a new standard when they FINALLY jump on the wireless charging bandwagon. Meanwhile I've been entirely free of wires on my Nexus 2013 since, well, 2013.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
@Simon Anderson.

I disagree. Forums/Comment sections are for people to express their opinions. Opinions can be made on either facts or about complete bull shit. So basing opinions on facts hardly negates the need for discussion, does it? Which is at the end of the day the reason for forums and comment sections.

Naturally Apple will also introduce a new standard when they FINALLY jump on the wireless charging bandwagon. Meanwhile I've been entirely free of wires on my Nexus 2013 since, well, 2013.
My bet is that Apple is waiting for the fancy new WiFi based wireless power solutions to come into play. It is essentially a trickle charge right now, but by the time it hits market it should have a little more power output, and phones will have a much lower power envelope, so it should not be a problem. The nice thing about it is that you can pull power so long as you are within your home (or business') WiFi signal range, which means no plates, and constant top-offs of power. Plus, one of the bigger issues is that current wireless charging requires the use of a plastic back-plate which Apple simply will not do. The new WiFi based solution will offer charging via a small strip of plastic on the device rather than a whole back of it.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
@CaedenV

'Plus, one of the bigger issues is that current wireless charging requires the use of a plastic back-plate which Apple simply will not do. '

First it's Polycarbonate, not 'plastic'. Secondly, did you never hear of the iPhone 5C which indeed had a Polycarbonate shell?

The truth is that Apple are waiting for one thing and one thing only with regards to wireless charging... and that is for them to feel that they will sell a ton more devices with said feature. Right now, no one really cares. A few are keen on the up take but most people don't even realise that this tech is technically already here.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
It's a brave new world out there, doesn't really matter which of these 2 competing formats "wins" so long as they do compete as that will drive innovation. It's almost like the DVD-R and DVD+R debacle, with drive manufacturers simply creating multi-format drives. So keep making phones that support both wireless formats and force the 2 companies to make better and better products. My ideal scenario would be to walk in the house and my phone charges from inside my pocket, a small router sized device sat in a cupboard somewhere.

josephstalin

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Wireless charging has come a long way in terms of charging speed as well. Two or three years ago, wireless charging was only twenty to thirty percent as fast as wired charging. But since then, we have been able to double the charging speed.

http://www.casperon.com/mobile-application-development/

Status
Not open for further replies.