Sandia Develops Amazingly Efficient CPU Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
but how does the commercial dynatron cooler compare to today's most popular coolers such as the hyper evo and noctua lineup in general?

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I read about this quite some time ago.
It will be interesting once they come out on the market with consumer product.
It is a neat design though.

jer :)

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Hopefully it wouldn't be too bad to clean out
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Well I don't know if it will be revolutionary, but it will certainly be evolutionary. Hopefully this will assist in the needed "downsizing" of PCs.[/citation]Especially video cards. Those things have been getting too large. Didn't someone make a card that took up 3 slot?

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Anyone ever see that 1" motor they were showing off a few years ago? When you opened it up it had a design exactly like this. That's probably where they got it from.

FenrirXIII

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Hey, hey douglas. Imma let chyou finish, but I just wanted to say the sandia article is the BEST EVER at 1 yr old. https://share.sandia.gov/news/resources/news_releases/cooler/

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Sign me up!

I hate it when stupid heat sinks get clogged w/ dust and don't work any more so the CPU just throttles down all the time and you wonder why it's stuttering. This looks great...no more friggin' dust in tiny little vanes...

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Okay, 2 things for critical thinkers to consider:

1) Sandia's own diagram of the device shows it cooling a surface from 40C down to 25C. If that is what they chose as numbers for a diagram, then it is reasonable to assume that is predictive of what their real world expectations are. Perhaps the technology may not be quite so efficient when the temperatures are higher, say, that of a modern CPU which, before cooling, is going to be in the triple digits.

2) I think that people are assuming that this device will somehow cool better than current technologies. But nowhere do they claim that. Since when is the average gamer worried about the power consumption of the CPU cooler? Most would happily accept a CPU that sucks twice the power of anything currently on the market, as long as it keeps the CPU cooler. Sandia only claims their design will cool more efficiently, i.e., at a lower cost - and perhaps only within the hinted at sweet spot of 45 degrees Celsius.

Instead of spinning the heat sink why don't they wrap a plastic shroud around it to force air through it properly. Something similar to stock GPU coolers so that it forces the air to circle around the cooler.

MrMakapuu

Distinguished
May 13, 2012
7 times better than a Dynatron G950 (they even still around)? Is that saying too much or too little? Sounds good and quiet on paper though... Gonna be a bitch figuring a way to connect it... Oh and watch your fingers!

draphius

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
i remembering hearing about this a year or so ago. i dont think youll see those inside main stream cases anytime soon. if i remember right that thing spins at around 9K rpm. i wouldnt want a wire falling into one of those at that speed with its mass. still though an interesting concept with the shear winds it

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]draphius[/nom]i remembering hearing about this a year or so ago. i dont think youll see those inside main stream cases anytime soon. if i remember right that thing spins at around 9K rpm. i wouldnt want a wire falling into one of those at that speed with its mass. still though an interesting concept with the shear winds it[/citation]

me too. where the heatsink itself is the fan. But i remember right here on tomshardware we were discussing how heavy it must be for the blades to turn (RPM) to cool the cpu down.

jasonw223

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
I think you mean to say 0.8 degrees Celsius per watt rather than 0.05. 0.05 would actually be 4x better performance - smaller is better for delta T per watt for CPU coolers.

Status
Not open for further replies.