Sandisk Acquires SSD Caching Know-How

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealBeast

Titan
[citation][nom]jaber2[/nom]Does this mean we will be seeing some low cost SSD's from SanDisk?[/citation]
That would be nice, but seems unlikely given the comment: "The acquisition of FlashSoft represents an important step in SanDisk's strategy of delivering complete SSD and software solutions to enterprise storage customers."

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Seems like a good acquisition by Sandisk speaking from experience with SSD software caching on both USB, SATA, and SD/MicroSD interfaces I can attest that it makes a dramatic improvement depending on how it's used.

I did my own testing and research on the matter around a year ago out of curiosity and was astonished with the differences of using 1GB of memory cache on a flash drive through software makes particularly with deferred writes turned on, but that's only advisable to do so if your using a battery backup UPS still massive read speed increases can be had regardless of that and are very worth while if you have substantially more memory in your computer than you utilize anyway on a regular basis.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
This is a link to what I'm talking about and FancyCache is suppose to work pretty much the same way as the SuperCache software I used in my testings. SSD's will end up with more and more dram cache in the foreseeable future is my hunch in according with costs and profit margins don't be shocked to see a SSD with 1GB of cache on it in the future to perform the same procedure all in hardware or motherboards have dedicated dram cache slots for storage devices.

http://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5441

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i have a question... how many of us would buy a motherboard that had ssd built into it, without the speed limits of sata?

im thinking it wouldn't need to be much in terms of size, but if we could put onto it, everything we need for the os to boot, and have some leftover for loading things like drivers and startup files... and im not talking about an on board c drive, im thinking of what if everything that was going to be loaded into ram, was put on board and moved as fast as possible... it would need less than 8gb of ssd, and that would account for at most a 20$ price increase. hell possible 16gb would be all that would be nessassary for a computer, the innitial start up files, than the most commonly used smaller files (as in drivers or files for things you boot on yor own) and once you have all that, it basically takes the need for a ssd away for 90% of people.

i got a ssd because my hdd was getting hit so hard that it went into the sub 1mb read speeds, that same harddrive with an ssd as a boot is getting the 120mb read it should be getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS