SanDisk Reveals World's Smallest SSD, the 'iSSD'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I wasn't sure if the postage stamp size SSD had space in orders of MB's in magnitude or single GB's. But if you can have that postage stamped SSD in your tablet or netbook, and have 24, 32 or 64GB of space on it, you might call yourself a lucky guy!

Eventhough it has fast continuous speed, I wonder how it does on iops.
SDHC cards where the SSD's of 5 years ago, but they perform horrible for random operations.

killmenow

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Don't like the name, should be call the mini-SSD.
if they call it the iSSD, it would imply that it's for peple who don't understand technology.

G

From a designer's standpoint, a reduction in the number of interfaces makes life a lot more simple.

G

This is nothing new! Since the days of ready boost in Vista, Intel was trying to get motherboard manufacturers to sodder on flash memory for faster booting. Also take into account that if this is put onto a MB then you will lose a SATA port and in 2-3 years this non-upgradable module will still be there but extremely slow by comparison with current SSG's at that time. If the made a pico SSD for very small devices that was upgradable like ram is in laptops then I would be impressed.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I think, I will start judging whether the articles on here are worth reading by ctrl+f for word "apple"... if I find ONE article without it - I will read it...

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]turbolover22[/nom]iSee that you did not begin your post with an "i". You have been penalized for not following the rules and must sit out a minimum of 3 news articles before you can post again.[/citation]
i Lolz, seriously now iHave to take a dump :D.

ontopic: i like the thing with this chips to be solderend to pc mobo's, for backup or OS like one guy said above. would be a good iDea.

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]wtp_31[/nom]This is nothing new! Since the days of ready boost in Vista, Intel was trying to get motherboard manufacturers to sodder on flash memory for faster booting. Also take into account that if this is put onto a MB then you will lose a SATA port and in 2-3 years this non-upgradable module will still be there but extremely slow by comparison with current SSG's at that time. If the made a pico SSD for very small devices that was upgradable like ram is in laptops then I would be impressed.[/citation]
i dont't thing they would put this on a cheap mobo, with idk 4 sata ports? just on the performance models for users who know what they have and how to use it. just some random thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.