SanDisk X400 1TB SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's a budget option for sure, but looking at the numbers that drive pushes out it's a pretty compelling product. PCPartpicker at the moment has this drive for $240 (less than 25c/GB), compared to $310 for the 1TB 850 EVO. I'd save the $70 on the X400 myself.

I still want cheaper SSDs, particularly a cheap 2TB SSD so I can ditch mechanical storage altogether, and the price isn't there yet for me. 3D NAND is obviously superior, but it's still quite a bit more expensive too. I think it's positive that we're seeing planar TLC drives that actually perform decently, unlike the trashy BX200 and similar drives we saw a while back which just make too many sacrifices to be a viable option IMHO.

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Hi Chris,
Do you know if Sandisk/WD flash that uses on chip copy/folding is any different to
Toshiba/OCZ flash? Or is it at controller/firmware level?
Talking about controllers-Sad to see the X400 die.

Do you have any feedback from manufacturers on the causes of SSD deaths?
If we were to look at Hardware France's No's and be generous and say a failure
rate of around 1%-That's millions of SSD's dying every year.(much less than HDD)
I'm guestimating controller or power components are the most likely.Bit sad that
a diode worth a few cents could brick a system............................

gondor

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

There is no such thing as "under 20 nm 3D NAND". The key reason for 3D NAND being more reliable than current planar NAND is significantly larger lithography (40 nm class versus 10 nm class) which manufacturers can again afford due to its 3D structure.

DuncDog

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
Chris,

I just noticed this on the Service Time graphs. It appears that the metric is measured in seconds and not milliseconds. Surely, none of the SSDs have a service time exceeding 15 minutes. :p

I thought I was crazy on the Corsair SSD review a little while back, but it appears that it is present there as well.

DuncDog

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
OH!! I was going to ask something as well. In your time with the X400, did you ever experience any degree of suggestion from the software or Sandisk to overprovision some of the drive like Samsung does with the 840/850 EVOs? I know my 500 840Evo and 250 850Evo complain something fierce if I don't. Well Samsung Magician does at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS