SanDisk's Making Nintendo Switch-Branded MicroSDXC Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well I'm sure they'll make enough to distribute to the 100 or so scalpers, so they market them up to 10-20x retail cost, so people who want the Zelda or Mario retail packaging to sit on their shelf can get it.

Seriously this is why I don't have any new Nintendo stuff, I'm out. The NES classic was what made me finally realize they just keep doing this stuff, and until people start voting with their wallets and Nintendo will keep doing it.

Fortunately this is SanDisk licensing the brand so user's may actually be able to get their hands on the product (I'm assuming)....

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
The idea that games could overrun cart capacity doesn't seem likely. It's likely they've followed Sony's use of flash cards as pseudo-ROM on the Vita. This greatly simplifies production compared to the hassles of mask ROM, which requires a costly procedure ever time you switch what product is being produced. With generic flash cards you can produce as few or many copies as needed without a penalty for small runs. They should be able to offer capacities up to 32GB at a very reasonable cost compared to mask ROM history. Since the Switch is effectively a 720p platform, it is hard to imagine what game is going to need more within the Switch's life cycle. Going up to 64 or even 128GB will be cost effective if the need can be shown.

sagatwarrior

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
I wander if this is happening due to companies like SquareEnix considering bring the large games like Final Fantasy XV to Nintendo Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.