jnjnilson6

Distinguished
I am generally talking about the times. The opulent moment, breathlessly reserved and mentioned variably through over a decade, appearing in the beginning of 2011 when Sandy Bridge became available, strewed a gilded polish over that generation of machines. It was a great shift in performance, architecture, temperatures and reliability to scarcely be matched again in the timeframe up until the present day.

Now, the closest we may get to a comparison with Sandy Bridge would be if we take a look at Alder Lake. Due to intense competition from AMD, Alder Lake (Intel 12th gen) has come out very fast, pushing the architecture and the core count to newer and more depthless verges. It has come as a beautiful and exquisite addition to the line of CPUs which may be obtained on the market.

Now my question proceeds as follows. Which architecture do you think provided a larger shift and was more vital for the times? Would that be Sandy Bridge (2011) or Alder Lake (2021-2022)? And if you may provide an architecture which you think was greatly momentous in the hardware sphere, no matter from which period, I would be glad that you should write about it.

Thank you!

I'm going to have to go with Alder Lake. Sandy Bridge was just a refinement of Westmere/Nehalem, which was refinement of Peryn and Core... which ultimately was a refinement of P6 (originating with the Pentium Pro)

Alder Lake was an actual strategy shift towards CPU design.

Reactions: jnjnilson6

BwwwJ1st

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
I will go with Sandy Bridge E. My 3930K was the best over clocker I have owned, with a stable 4.6Ghz on all 6 cores. Coupled with quad core RAM, and Titan Blacks in SLI, it was quite the PC.

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
I will go with Sandy Bridge E. My 3930K was the best over clocker I have owned, with a stable 4.6Ghz on all 6 cores. Coupled with quad core RAM, and Titan Blacks in SLI, it was quite the PC.
That's great! I've had a Core i7-3770K back in the day which I was able to overclock up to 5 GHz with Corsair H110 water cooling. At that frequency it was a hairline faster than the Core i7-3930K (at stock) on Cinebench R11.5.

At the time (2012) I was thinking about getting either the Core i7-3770K, a Core i5-3570K, a Core i7-2600K or 2700K, a Core i7-3820 or a Core i7-3930K. I did pick out the Core i7-3770K because it was cheaper than the models latterly expressed, supported PCIe 3.0, and harbored a newer 22 nm architecture; at the same time it had Hyper-Threading which, at the time, provided that enthusiast feel the Core i5s could not so completely impart. The Core i7-2600K and 2700K did run cooler and allowed for a greater overclock, yet they did not provide that feeling of newness and being on the verge that the Core i7-3770K did by its release in 2012.

The Core i7-3930K was a monster indeed and considered a great CPU. I think it did beat the Core i7-990X which used to be this glorified, unreachable enthusiast component which was the best of the best and which we always thought about.

Last edited: