Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
GPU Advice.

i3 4150 3.5ghz

DDR3 8gb 1333

Mobo MS 7869 Ver: 1.0 PCI E x 16 V.2.0

HDD Sata WD500gb

PSU CiT 500w

There are two GPU's close to me for sale both similar money.

Saphire R9 270x 4GB or Zotac GTX 1050 TI

Which one of the two would be more suited, currently on a screen 720p @ 1024 x 768 but in a few months will upgrade to 1080p 1920 x 1080.

Use is for typical Google, Youtube, Roblox, Minecraft. ( No high end gaming )

Any other suggestions welcome.

PSU CiT 500w

Whichever GPU you decide to buy, please do NOT use that CiT PSU on any gaming rig. That's a VERY poor/inferior quality power supply. Don't skimp on the PSU. There is a RISK factor using this power supply brand, regardless of whether your PC requires that much power or not.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computer...nts/CiT-Active-Bronze-Power-Supply/B01D0B5I16

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...V500+80++Bronze+Power+Supply+?productId=63088

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible.

Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.
Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Last edited:

mangaman

Honorable
Which ever GPU you decide to buy, please do NOT use that CiT PSU on any gaming rig. That's a VERY poor/inferior quality power supply. Don't skimp on the PSU. There is a RISK factor using this power supply brand, regardless of whether your PC requires that much power or not.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computer...nts/CiT-Active-Bronze-Power-Supply/B01D0B5I16

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...V500+80++Bronze+Power+Supply+?productId=63088

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible.

Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.
Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

I agree. You can cheap out on a CPU, GPU, case or even a motherboard if you so desire. But never cheap out on a PSU. If it's a low end/office PC, then it's a BIG maybe. Even so, it's better to spend money on a quality PSU then to replace your entire system.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

rdstars

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
Being out of touch by around 15 years I never new, just re'cased my setup.

Can someone suggest some PSU that are budget but reasonably good.

Thanks

rdstars

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019

That's way out of my budget, it's not a high end or even a high gaming PC. I bought the wrong PC to start with, was not getting much help and keep digging a hole, apart from aiming at adding a GPU the original system was only on a 220w PSU and was a Packard Bell.

rdstars

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
What would your budget be then?

Probably under £40, the CiT Case with PSU was £34, the case is fine, it's all working. I was looking for something so I could add a GPU as the original case was too small and PSU could not be changed.
I did ask else where before I bought but lack of replies and not knowing bought the wrong one.

rdstars

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
I should add, all I am running is listed, not looking at adding anything else, just a GPU to what was the original PC and that was on a 220w SFF PSU

rdstars

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
That is an ATX standard case so an ATX PSU will work.

That said, cheapest decent I can find is $42 the Corsair VS450.

Thankyou,

Just want to ask so I don't buy and make another mistake, I can get one on Amazon for £36.98 delivered. Defiantly this is enough reliable power for my system, not sure how much I acturally need.

Probably get the 1050 ti and wait for a new PSU to arrive before fitting.

link to amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B078Y44N73/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

rdstars

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
Help please.

Got my new PSU Corsair VS450, my motherboard and CiT PSU has a 4 pin connector going to it, the new PSU has an 8 pin connector with CPU written on it.

I'm not sure what to do, can I use the 8 pin with overhang, I'm not going to kill the thing am I.

Help please.

Got my new PSU Corsair VS450, my motherboard and CiT PSU has a 4 pin connector going to it, the new PSU has an 8 pin connector with CPU written on it.

I'm not sure what to do, can I use the 8 pin with overhang, I'm not going to kill the thing am I.

You can actually split the 8 pin into a 4 pin:

hqdefault.jpg

Its designed so if you have an 8 pin or 4 pin you can use it. You just split it apart and use the 4 needed. I typically zip tie the other half back to keep it from touching anything.

Reactions: renz496 and rdstars

rdstars

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
Well bought the Zotac 1050ti OC edition, new PSU and finished it this morning. With out my daughter there opened her Roblox and some game in there she likes, turned up the graphics and so much sharper, clear and working well.

Next is to get her set up on Minecraft, see how that work's, should be much better than the Tablet version.

Next upgrade Xmas for her, the 720p 1024 x 768 32" will be upgraded to a 1920 x 1080 1080p 32". That should make a nice difference for her.

Any suggestions for typical games for a 9 year old.

Well bought the Zotac 1050ti OC edition, new PSU and finished it this morning. With out my daughter there opened her Roblox and some game in there she likes, turned up the graphics and so much sharper, clear and working well.

Next is to get her set up on Minecraft, see how that work's, should be much better than the Tablet version.

Next upgrade Xmas for her, the 720p 1024 x 768 32" will be upgraded to a 1920 x 1080 1080p 32". That should make a nice difference for her.

Any suggestions for typical games for a 9 year old.

Minecraft should to well with standard stuff. Adding graphical mods might tax it a bit more though.

As for games for a 9 year old, one I enjoy a lot is Terraria. Its like a retro side scrolling style minecraft:

A similar one is Starbound. Its like Terraria but space based. Has a ton to do in it, planets to explore etc:

And then there is No Man Sky. Its rated T but I watched a few videos on it and it doesn't seem to be more than just a more realistic style Minecraft.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS