Saphire radeon 6870 causes motherboard not to boot

Jessica925

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Hi all, I am trying to change out the MSI Geforce Video Card on my system with a new SAPPHIRE 100314-2SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

When I install the card and hook up the 2 6 pin power cables to the power supply, the computer will not boot. It boots and runs perfectly fine if I use my MSI Geoforce Video card in the system, but as soon as I take that out and install the Saphhire---there is no booting at all, infact all the fans quit spinning and no action at all on my monitors or computer.

here are the specs on my system:

Intel Core I 7 930 Processor 2.80 GHZ, 8mb L3 Cache, LGA 1366 Quad Core

Corsair Core i7 Dominator 12 GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz,

ASUS P6X58D Premium Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s

I've RMA'd the card once already, just got the replacement card and it does the same thing. Incidentally the first card that I had was checked in another system, different motherboard and power supply, and it wouldn't run in that system either. That was on an Asus P6 motherboard, so wondering is this an incompatibility with Asus motherboards, or is there something else going on?

I did find some earlier threads on some other forums about other previous Saphhire cards which all in the same batch had similar problems, but nothing on the 6870 that would tell me if others are having this issue.

What else should I try before doing an RMA on this card? Thanks for the help.

Corsair CMPSU-1000HX 1000-Watt Power Supply - ATX, 140mm Fan, SATA-Ready, SLI Ready

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
If it doesn't POST with the 6870 but it does run perfectly with the older card there's nothing you can do, having a very capable PSU, other than RMA it again.

It takes a huge amount of bad luck to get 2 bad cards in a row, but it does happen.

Jessica925

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Hi all, thank you so much for the help. I have tried both PCI-E slots, but I have not tried the 2nd card in the other computer which I will do I guess before asking for an RMA on the 2nd card.

I did not however remove the graphics drivers this time with my system--but I didn't think that would cause the computer not to boot at all and had tried that the first time with the first card.

There are other posts that I find with trouble booting with the 5850 card so again I'm wondering if something similar is happening to the 6870 and I'm just getting the same "batch" of cards when they RMA me back another one to try.

I will test it out on the 2nd computer again. Is there any reason to reset the CMOS before I do that and try it on my system or should I just try it in the 2nd one and if it still does not work chalk it up to 2 bad cards?

Appreciate all your comments...this is the first time I've had this happen with a graphics card so not quite sure what to do.