Sapphire 390x Failure: Lights On, No Fan, Not Detected

CordialPhilomath

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Quick speccy:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: AMD FX-9370 14 °C
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z (Socket 942) 29 °C
Monitor: SE790C (3440x1440@60Hz)
GPU: 8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 45 °C
PSU: LEPA P1375

Short version:
Computer shuts down, GPU failure
Confirmed failure not an issue with mobo slot, monitor, display port cable, power supply, power supply cables, drivers

So, on to the issue:
The computer shut down during a non-intensive task (watching videos), and upon reboot the monitor did not display any boot screen or other computer information (although it was confirmed to work for other things). Swapped display-port cable, no change. Swapped graphics card slots (two Sapphire 390x in Crossfire; swapped the one that was hooked to the display-port with the other secondary card). This allowed the computer to correctly display information, etc. However, I shortly noticed another problem: The card that, for whatever reason, didn't work with my monitor appears to be not working whatsoever. Despite the fact that the blue Sapphire light on the edge of the card still lights up, it isn't detected in Speccy or AMD settings and consequently nothing of mine can benefit from Crossfire as is. Additionally, the card's fans don't power up whatsoever. I've already used Display Driver Uninstaller (yes, from safe mode), and this hasn't resolved the issue. I've also changed the set of cables from the power supply (modular), and also swapped the socket they were hooked into (no effect). As such, I'm stumped, and my only potential option outside of you guys seems to be an RMA (if it gets approved).

UPDATE:
Failed card does not work alone, in either slot, with any of 3 sets of power cables. Fan still does not start, Sapphire light is active, nothing is displayed.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Have you tried removing one GPU and trying to boot with them independently? With a PSU, it's possible it's failing to adequately power both 390X's, although the fact it boots with them both installed, with no little sign of life from the second (suspected failed) card is definitely concerning.

The LED on the card is sufficiently powered from the PCIe slot alone - and the fans are unlikely to 'ramp' up without the additional PSU power and with the card remaining idle.

Not saying it is the PSU, but trying each card independently (with the other fully removed), will narrow it down even further.

No sense attempting to RMA the GPU until you can definitively confirm the GPU is at fault (although admittedly, it's sounding likely)

CordialPhilomath

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Given both of you suggested once more trying it separate, I proceeded to do so. Unfortunately the card remains unresponsive. I'll contact the RMA group for Sapphire, which I believe is outsourced to AthlonMicro. We'll see how it goes, I suppose, unless anyone has any other ideas?