Sapphire HD7870 underperforming

Loosecontroi

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Hello everyone, hope you are having a good day.

I have desktop PC, this specifications:
asus maximus iv gene-z/gen3
Sapphire HD7870
Intel 2500k
Cooler Master 650W GX bronze
12 GB ram

Everything was going total fine. I had to travel for 2 months, so I decided to take my PC with me. I disassembled it, put the parts in bags. I tried to warp them to provide better protection. Everything was ok throughout my travel.

When I returned, I noticed that my PC is extremely under-performing during gaming sessions. I played the same games I played during my travel. But now the FPS is dramatically lower. It was 60 FPS at FHD and now it can get as low as 15. I tried to over-clock the GPU and increase fan speed and even the power sent to the graphics card, using AMD driver, but it didn't work! When I press "Ok" to save the settings, the settings simple return to the default values.

So I'm suspecting it's the power-supply, maybe it was hit/shaken during the travel. What should I do to proof my suspension is right? Or how can I fix it?

Anyone? Thanks in advance.

Solution
I would first try unseating and reseating the components, making sure the heatsinks, fans and power cables are in tight.
Try removing and reinstalling the drivers (it could be a bad driver or simply windows has made a mess of settings somewhere and needs reminding what the card is)

If you really want to "test" the PSU it can be tricky, my personal method is to run prime95 at max for hours and see if you can crash the machine, randomly reboot, BSOD or similar, this would suggest a heat or power problem if all the components were working fine before.

You could also try taking out all but one stick of RAM incase one has been damaged but I find this unlikely. The fact that it was all working and it still boots it would be wise to check...

Videographer

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
I would first try unseating and reseating the components, making sure the heatsinks, fans and power cables are in tight.
Try removing and reinstalling the drivers (it could be a bad driver or simply windows has made a mess of settings somewhere and needs reminding what the card is)

If you really want to "test" the PSU it can be tricky, my personal method is to run prime95 at max for hours and see if you can crash the machine, randomly reboot, BSOD or similar, this would suggest a heat or power problem if all the components were working fine before.

You could also try taking out all but one stick of RAM incase one has been damaged but I find this unlikely. The fact that it was all working and it still boots it would be wise to check everything is seated correctly and then software before you go troubleshooting anything else - it could be the gpu fan has been unplugged or the heatsink came loose

Solution