Question Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB -- maybe a bios problem

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I have a Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB video card that will not boot.

Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB DDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+DL-DVI-D/HDM/DP DUAL-X OC Version (UEFI)

PN 299-2E308-100SA SKU# 11242-07

It is used and I do not know its history. I thought it was a working card and got it for $40. If it is not fixable, I can get my money back, but I want to try to fix it.

I suspect it has had a bad bios flash, but I do not know. It has dual bios with a small toggle switch, to go from Legacy to UEFI. I think that is what this switch does, rather than normal to OC.

I get black screen, no display, and no access to anything when I boot up. Booting from Legacy with the switch in both positions seems to give the same results, the fans turn, but they never really get going, just start and stop and start and stop, with no beeps.

On a computer with UEFI and secure boot enabled, I get the same result with the switch one way. But with the switch in the other position, I think it reads the card as having Legacy bios, for the fans spin a lot more and 5 short beeps follow. This is what happens with a working video card that do not support UEFI.

I have read that flashing a mining bios to these cards can cause problems. Not sure if that is what happened or not.