[SOLVED] Sapphire RX 580 Temeperatures

Oct 6, 2020
So I currently have the rx 580 inside my pc. I built this pc myself and I have the cooler master q300l case. I have decent airflow with two af140 corsair fans and a stock (cooler master) exhaust fan. For example, when playing fortnite (lol) my gpu temperature never goes above 65 degrees. I have the gpu under an undervolt (1020mv with 1340mhz clock). However for some reason, when i play watch dogs 2, my temperatures sore above 75 degrees reaching 77 and at one point hit 80 (i shut off the game in fear of my card overheating).

1. Is there anything I can do to prevent my card from reaching such high temperatures in this specific game?
  2. Is there any way i can improve my fan setup in my pc so that i have optimal airflow (and prefably sound below 30dba as the corsair fans at 50% speed sound like a jet engine)?

Solution
Your GPU isn't going to damage itself from too high temperatures; it is designed to thermally throttle itself once it hits a pre-programed temperature in order to not go over what is safe. Some games push the GPU differently than others and cause it to run much hotter. The 580 is a hot-running GPU, temperatures of 80 degrees are neither surprising nor unsafe.

That being said, you can lower temperatures by installing more/better case fans. Looking at the specs of the case, you have only three fans installed yet there is room for several more. Besides the two 140 mm fans in front and 1 stock fan at the back, there is room for another 120mm fan on the bottom next to your PSU and two more 120 mm fans on the top of your case.

A 120 mm...
Your GPU isn't going to damage itself from too high temperatures; it is designed to thermally throttle itself once it hits a pre-programed temperature in order to not go over what is safe. Some games push the GPU differently than others and cause it to run much hotter. The 580 is a hot-running GPU, temperatures of 80 degrees are neither surprising nor unsafe.

That being said, you can lower temperatures by installing more/better case fans. Looking at the specs of the case, you have only three fans installed yet there is room for several more. Besides the two 140 mm fans in front and 1 stock fan at the back, there is room for another 120mm fan on the bottom next to your PSU and two more 120 mm fans on the top of your case.

A 120 mm fan on the bottom of your case blowing up will blow cool air directly into your GPU fans and the two 120 mm fans on top will suck the hot air being exhausted out the sides of your GPU directly out the top (the direction heat most naturally wants to travel).

Noctua makes the quietest yet best-flowing case fans around. I suggest that you purchase three 120 mm fans from them and install them in your case. If the two corsair fans are making too much noise for you, you'd be best served by replacing all the fans in your case with Noctua fans. You'll need four 120mm fans and two 140 mm fans if you decide to go that route. Not cheap, but a worthwhile investment to keep your components cool.

Check out my signature: I have eight Noctua fans in my build.

Solution
Oct 6, 2020

A 120 mm fan on the bottom of your case blowing up will blow cool air directly into your GPU fans and the two 120 mm fans on top will suck the hot air being exhausted out the sides of your GPU directly out the top (the direction heat most naturally wants to travel).

Noctua makes the quietest yet best-flowing case fans around. I suggest that you purchase three 120 mm fans from them and install them in your case. If the two corsair fans are making too much noise for you, you'd be best served by replacing all the fans in your case with Noctua fans. You'll need four 120mm fans and two 140 mm fans if you decide to go that route. Not cheap, but a worthwhile investment to keep your components cool.

Check out my signature: I have eight Noctua fans in my build.

Thank you so much for kindly replying. Thanks for reassuring me about the temperatures. You are totally right, as I have searched on other forums as well, it seems like the rx 580 is a toasty card. Noctua fans are something I am going to buy and should hopefully see an improvement in airflow. I've checked reviews on youtube and it seems like they geniuenly make the quietest fans out there.

Just another quick question: Do you think its worth returning my card and buying an nvidia card with around the same specs or going for a different AMD card altogether? Keeping in mind I have a ryzen 3 3100 so I can't really choose something like the rx 5700xt.

Thank you so much for kindly replying. Thanks for reassuring me about the temperatures. You are totally right, as I have searched on other forums as well, it seems like the rx 580 is a toasty card. Noctua fans are something I am going to buy and should hopefully see an improvement in airflow. I've checked reviews on youtube and it seems like they geniuenly make the quietest fans out there.

Just another quick question: Do you think its worth returning my card and buying an nvidia card with around the same specs or going for a different AMD card altogether? Keeping in mind I have a ryzen 3 3100 so I can't really choose something like the rx 5700xt.
I prefer Nvidia cards over AMD cards. They have better drivers and generally strike me as better put together (more efficient, more features). If you're looking for a solid card at a decent price, I'd recommend you a GTX 1660 Super.