Question SAS-3 vs. SATA III - in terms of defragmentation speeds and data rot prevention tasks

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
I need to expand my backup / archive capabilities. Among other measures, I keep offline two archive drives:

● HDD 3.5" Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC550 16TB SATA III 7200 RPM 512 MB cache [0F38460 / WUH721816ALE6L0]

● HDD 3.5" Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC550 18TB SATA III 7200 RPM 512 MB cache [0F38459 / WUH721818ALE6L4]

Lets assume that instead of 20 or 22 TB SATA from that line, I would buy one of these:

● HDD 3.5" Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC570 22TB SAS-3 7200 RPM 512 MB cache [WUH722222AL5201]

● HDD 3.5" Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC570 22TB SAS-3 7200 RPM 512 MB cache [WUH722222AL5204]
[I do not know what is the difference between these two models]

Would I then [in theory / perfect conditions and with the same data on them] increase the speed with which defragmentation is done by 100%? Would that also apply to reading and re-writing of every byte for the purpose of data fade prevention [done with e.g. freeware DiskFresh]? Or would the increase by around [I am guessing] 50%?

I am asking this because:

1] SAS drives are more expensive than SATA ones

2] I would need to buy a PCI-e controller, which seems to costs minimum 1/6 if not 1/3 the cost of the drive alone; and either two of them or a one but with 2 slots [for a ready-to-use fail-safe measures and for future proofing]

3] I would need to buy a cable and a spare one

4] I already have some unmistakable and long lasting issues with achieving speeds of my M.2 SSDs connected via PCI-e [https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/too-slow-ssd-nvme-sata-disks.3691169/] - thus I fear that on this count alone I might end up with my SAS HDD working just a little above speeds of SATA III [thus allowing me, hopefully, to experience higher speeds only after buying a new motherboard]

5] The anti data rot alone just for the the 16TB drive [long story short] took me well over a week to finish, which also greatly disrupted my workflow

And so: I would accept spending ~30% more for a SAS setup in order to gain ~80% more speed for those two tasks [even if I would get to them only after 2-3 years wafer buying a new motherboard] - but I would not accept spending that much more to gain only ~25% [and getting a burden of two different type of HDD connections]

[I connect those archive drives only few times a year to add new backups to them and sometimes also to remove some older ones; and I predict to keep this new 22TB drive for- at least the next 12 years, as my previous biggest offline archive drive I used for 8 years, while previous for 6, getting rid of it only because it was two small]

Last edited:

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
What?

Wanting to add another / separate backup drive and planing its effective maintenance is overthinking?

What else: me buying it from the same line-up of products, so that if 2 of them go south I can send one of them to a service as a source of spare parts for the other?

USAFRet

Titan
What?

Wanting to add another / separate backup drive and planing its effective maintenance is overthinking?

What else: me buying it from the same line-up of products, so that if 2 of them go south I can send one of them to a service as a source of spare parts for the other?
No, I was commenting on the SAS drives and the needed controllers, etc.

More backup space is rarely a bad thing. But you c an go overboard in search of a 'never fail' config.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
No, I was commenting on the SAS drives and the needed controllers, etc.
[...]

That is precisely the issue at hand: validity of indulge in such shebang

[...]
5] The anti data rot alone just for the the 16TB drive [long story short] took me well over a week to finish, which also greatly disrupted my workflow
[...]

I mean: what is the point of making backups on a 20 or 22TB drive with the intention of storing them for years if they will fade away? How stupid it would be not to refresh them when having the tools for it? But on the other hand- how much time it will take me to go through such drive filled with data if [as I just have checked this] that annoying week was spent by me on just 9.5 TB of data?

What I need to know is to establish if burdening myself with SAS-3 over SATA III will yield positive speed results, thus making worth it in the long run [like a decade]. [ChatGPT is unable to provide real life examples and just produces tips with little value]

USAFRet

Titan
That is precisely the issue at hand: validity of indulge in such shebang

I mean: what is the point of making backups on a 20 or 22TB drive with the intention of storing them for years if they will fade away? How stupid it would be not to refresh them when having the tools for it? But on the other hand- how much time it will take me to go through such drive filled with data if [as I just have checked this] that annoying week was spent by me on just 9.5 TB of data?

What I need to know is to establish if burdening myself with SAS-3 over SATA III will yield positive speed results, thus making worth it in the long run [like a decade]. [ChatGPT is unable to provide real life examples and just produces tips with little value]
Speed is mostly irrelevant.
Backups happening overnight when you sleep.

ChatGPT? Just....stop.

3-2-1.
3 copies, on at least 2 different media, at least 1 offsite.

SATA or SAS or whatever...there is NO foolproof or failproof thing that you can store on the shelf "for years", and assume it will simply work.
Check and update your data regularly.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
I am talking about speeds with which I am and possible will be able to refresh already created backups and not about making them

If I had not been doing this also during a day, it would have taken me 2 weeks and not just 1 to refresh those 9.5 TB. In other words: I will not have time nor energy to refresh this 22TB during a whole month of night work or during 2 weeks of night and background work during days; capisce?

USAFRet

Titan
I am talking about speeds with which I am and possible will be able to refresh already created backups and not about making them

If I had not been doing this also during a day, it would have taken me 2 weeks and not just 1 to refresh those 9.5 TB. In other words: I will not have time nor energy to refresh this 22TB during a whole month of night work or during 2 weeks of night and background work during days; capisce?
In my realm, this is what Incremental does.

I do not know the overall sped diff between SATA and SAS.