Question SAS Drives on a Regular Win PC

KLund1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2016
HI,
I have a large lot of 4-8 year old random SAS HDD's and SSD's. (not SATA drives)
I need a way to test, wipe and reformat these drives from a regular PC (win 10)
I know I need some kind of adapter card.
I got some of these cables
[url]https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-co ... 27&sr=1-29[/url]
But they do not work as most PC motherboards to not support SAS drives I discovered. (if you know of a particular cheap MB model that dose, please post it)
So I'm looking for some help to find a least expensive solution that includes data and power for the drives, that a regular PC can deal with.
I am not looking for speed or making a RAID or anything fancy. I just want to test and wipe these drives.
I do not have any access to any type of server hardware.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks

KLund1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2016
Thanks Very much for the reply!
the amazon description of the cables I have is:
StarTech.com 18in SAS 29 Pin to SATA Cable with LP4 Power - 18in SAS 29 pin to SATA Cable - 18in SFF 8482 to SATA (SAS729PW18), Red
I am using a 5 year old mid-range Asus gaming MB. it has available PCIe slots.
I am not currently with the drives, and do not have exact model numbers.
The HDD's are HGST 10TB's. The SSD's are Intel with no label just a CR code.

The helpful link you provided looks only like a pass through. I think I need some sort of controller card. I'm 99% sure my MB does not support SAS protocols. I would probably need different cables then what I mistakenly already have. But I do not know what they are.
DO you have any further suggestions or ideas?
Again your input is very mush appreciated!

HI,
I have a large lot of 4-8 year old random SAS HDD's and SSD's. (not SATA drives)
I need a way to test, wipe and reformat these drives from a regular PC (win 10)
I know I need some kind of adapter card.
I got some of these cables
[url]https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-co ... 27&sr=1-29[/url]
But they do not work as most PC motherboards to not support SAS drives I discovered. (if you know of a particular cheap MB model that dose, please post it)
So I'm looking for some help to find a least expensive solution that includes data and power for the drives, that a regular PC can deal with.
I am not looking for speed or making a RAID or anything fancy. I just want to test and wipe these drives.
I do not have any access to any type of server hardware.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks
How fat is your wallet?

Plug 'usb to sas' into google

KLund1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2016
Thanks
It is not that fat :(
The cables I have are probably not helpful. I did not know that I needed a controller card before I got them. So lets ignore them for now.
The Adaptec ASR-5805Z looks like a good fit. $40usd is reasonable for my needs. But now I need data and power cables for the drives.
I'm going to to be test a lot of drives (100+). so I need something that is fairly easy to plug and unplug a lot (data and power).
Also, do I need drivers for this card in Win 10? Or will the drives just show up in Disk Manager like sata drives?
All the help is very much appreciated !!