[SOLVED] Sata 3.0 SSD vs NVME M2.0 Pcie 2.0 x4

Loz M 1985

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Hey anybody know if it makes any substantial difference in game performance and load times between

ssd connected via sata 3.0
Vs
NVME M2.0 connected via pcie 2.0x4

i have already use my pcie 3.0 for gpu, and my other ports are pcie 2.0

so is it gonna make much difference in

data transfer?
Windows and game Load Speeds?
in game performance?

Any advice on this matter is appreciated

thanks
Loz

Loz M 1985

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Yeah it’s a great lot faster from a standard HDD which I currently have and I watched a few other vids one with my mobo particularly regarding file data transfers
And I wasn’t sure which to choose out of sata ssd and NVMe m2.0 so I’m gonna get the NVMe thanks for your help

But yeah I see that is only about a second faster on in game load speeds , but the file data transfer is much quicker right??

View: https://youtu.be/dBfGhFs2oRw

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
Depends on the drive and the data, They are great for large file transfers but when you get down to hundreds/thousands of smaller files, like your MP3 collection, then they slow way down.

As for the drive, if you get a QLC based drive, after you fill the buffer you will drop down to HDD, or slower, speeds.

Lastly, don't forget that all those videos and benchmarks you were looking at are of an NVME drive in a pcie3x4 M2 slot and your M2 slot is pcie2 - so you only get half the speed.

I'd recommend a SATA drive for your PC unless you were planning to upgrade soon and then could transfer the NVME drive to the new build.