Question Sata Cable into HDD nearly caught fire

Josh_209

Reputable
May 28, 2017
So I’m building a pc for a friend. Everything going well, everything apart from one thing is working fine as far as I can tell.
Problem is, whenever I plugged in the SSD (being the only storage device plugged into the pc at the time), and tried to turn on the PC, it would flash on for a half second then die. I stripped the entire pc and rebuilt it before I found the SSD to be the problem. Everything turns on no problem with no storage device connected. I then tried it with a HHD, I press the on button, I hear a sizzle noise then start seeing smoke, so I instantly turned the PC off by the power supply. When I’ve gone to remove the power cable and sata cable from the hard drive, the sata cable is boiling hot and appears to have fried the Hard drive, which is weird because if anything I would have assumed the power cable to be more likely to do that. I have no idea why it’s done that, the rest of the pc seems to be fine and turning on without a hard drive, yet still switching off with the SSD and I don’t dare plug in the HDD again especially since it looks baked. Any idea what’s happened or what I can do to fix it?
Any help is much appreciated

Josh_209

Reputable
May 28, 2017
Sorry, don’t know how I forgot to mention parts

PSU - Corsair CX550M
Motherboard - ASUS Prime B450M-A (using sata cables that came with this)
CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
RAM - 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
Hard Drive (one that fried) - Western Digital WD10EZEX

I tried 2 SSDs, quite old but both out of my own pc and been working fine - 120GB PNY and an OCZ Arc 100