SATA HD and sys response (speed)

My System:
Gateway 700X (upgraded to 710X)
Wasp Motherboard
3.0GHZ 800MHz FSB P4 NORTHWOOD HYPER THREADING PROCESSOR
550W Power supply
Memory: 1024MB Memory Module
200GB SATA Hard Drive
18 LCD Flat Panel Display Analog/Digital (18.1 viewable)
128MB NVIDIA GEFORCE4 TI4200 Graphics Card Drivers
DVD-RAM/-R/-RW/CDRW Recorder
TDK CD-RW: 52/24/48
SB Audigy (Twister) Sound Card w/IEEE 1394
Boston Acoustics BA7900 5.1 Speakers (5 + Boombox)
Multifunction PS2 Keyboard
Logitec USB Optical Mouse
Panasonic 3.5 Floppy ID Drive
Zip Drive
120Gig External Hard Drive (Smartdrive).

Didnt see any references to my problem here so i'll post it and
hope for an answer.

Problem Defination: Reduced response time. (non-RAID system)

Symptoms:
1. When i first got this system, and i clicked on an application
(including browsers) the appl would be on-screen and ready to go before
i could release the mouse button. Was getting very fast throughput, above
129 MB per second (now 108.3 according to Hi-Tech) Now, several seconds
3/4/5 will pass before i see anything on-screen.
2. I can find no reference to a SATA interface within the system. Nor any
way to check if it is using the right driver for SATA.
3. The system shows 3 drivers in the properties under the hard disk -
disk.sys
PartMgr.sys
snapman.sys
(Wether these are the correct drivers or not i dont know).

Discussion: I have re-installed this OS before using the CD's from
Gateway and it
never called for anything like the F6 key. This appears to be a gradual
reduction
happening over time. The last time i re-installed the OS there was no
improvement.
I purchased WinXP (full version) with XP2, installed it (using the F6
key and what i
hope was the correct drivers from Intel. No improvement. I installed a
new HD, the
same as the original HD. No improvement.
I'm looking for what\where is the real SATA driver for this system and
of course,
any info as to what may cause this slowdown.

Thank you,
clif

You haven't mentioned any activities to clear spam which can be a real drag
on computer speed. Do you use an anti-virus?

I just helped friends speed up an almost inactive computer, running windows
2000, by running "Spybot" and "Adaware", perhaps they would help you. Aside
I run 180gb SATA drives and have never seen the problem you talk about.

Zone alarm is another excellant (free) protection for your system especially
if you are connected via cable or dsl.

Kenneth clifton wrote:
> My System:
> Gateway 700X (upgraded to 710X)
> Wasp Motherboard
> 3.0GHZ 800MHz FSB P4 NORTHWOOD HYPER THREADING PROCESSOR
> 550W Power supply
> Memory: 1024MB Memory Module
> 200GB SATA Hard Drive
> 18 LCD Flat Panel Display Analog/Digital (18.1 viewable)
> 128MB NVIDIA GEFORCE4 TI4200 Graphics Card Drivers
> DVD-RAM/-R/-RW/CDRW Recorder
> TDK CD-RW: 52/24/48
> SB Audigy (Twister) Sound Card w/IEEE 1394
> Boston Acoustics BA7900 5.1 Speakers (5 + Boombox)
> Multifunction PS2 Keyboard
> Logitec USB Optical Mouse
> Panasonic 3.5 Floppy ID Drive
> Zip Drive
> 120Gig External Hard Drive (Smartdrive).
>
> Didnt see any references to my problem here so i'll post it and
> hope for an answer.
>
> Problem Defination: Reduced response time. (non-RAID system)
>
> Symptoms:
> 1. When i first got this system, and i clicked on an application
> (including browsers) the appl would be on-screen and ready to go before
> i could release the mouse button. Was getting very fast throughput, above
> 129 MB per second (now 108.3 according to Hi-Tech) Now, several seconds
> 3/4/5 will pass before i see anything on-screen.
> 2. I can find no reference to a SATA interface within the system. Nor any
> way to check if it is using the right driver for SATA.
> 3. The system shows 3 drivers in the properties under the hard disk -
> disk.sys
> PartMgr.sys
> snapman.sys
> (Wether these are the correct drivers or not i dont know).
>
> Discussion: I have re-installed this OS before using the CD's from
> Gateway and it
> never called for anything like the F6 key. This appears to be a gradual
> reduction
> happening over time. The last time i re-installed the OS there was no
> improvement.
> I purchased WinXP (full version) with XP2, installed it (using the F6
> key and what i
> hope was the correct drivers from Intel. No improvement. I installed a
> new HD, the
> same as the original HD. No improvement.
> I'm looking for what\where is the real SATA driver for this system and
> of course,
> any info as to what may cause this slowdown.

Try start -> control panel => system -> Hardware -> Driver
Manager -> Disk Drives -> (Drive Name) -> Driver

There are buttons for updating drivers and trouble shooting
the device.

Good luck

Tom, Homer, thanks for replying.
The drivers are listed above. I dont know if they are the correct ones
or not. They were installed with the WinXP install CD. I dont know if they
are the same ones that was running when i got the system.

I just extracted the chipset from gateway and installed it but no
difference.

Could someone, running a SATA HD, list the drivers as shown on their system?

I still suspect that GW did something extra to get the speed up but
darned if i
can find anything. I believe the slow-down first appeared after i did a
reinstall
of the OS using the GW system CD's.

thank you,
clif

Kenneth clifton wrote:

> Tom, Homer, thanks for replying.
> The drivers are listed above. I dont know if they are the correct ones
> or not. They were installed with the WinXP install CD. I dont know if they
> are the same ones that was running when i got the system.
>
> I just extracted the chipset from gateway and installed it but no
> difference.
>
> Could someone, running a SATA HD, list the drivers as shown on their system?
>
> I still suspect that GW did something extra to get the speed up but
> darned if i
> can find anything. I believe the slow-down first appeared after i did a
> reinstall
> of the OS using the GW system CD's.

I have the first two drivers, but no snapman.sys . A
cursory search on Google reveals that HP used to have a
command line network utility called snapman. Other then
that, I don't see any other relevant return. If you right
click on snapman.sys and examine its properties, maybe that
can tell you something. My disk is an ST3200822AS.

Ken,

I'm running 2 WDC WD1600JD SATA (160 gb) drives and the drivers are from
Microsoft (Gateway installed at purchase). They are: Disk.Sys &
PartMgr.Sys. I have had no need to reinstall anything - ie. no problems to
date.

> Tom, Homer, thanks for replying.
> The drivers are listed above. I dont know if they are the correct ones
> or not. They were installed with the WinXP install CD. I dont know if
> they
> are the same ones that was running when i got the system.
>
> I just extracted the chipset from gateway and installed it but no
> difference.
>
> Could someone, running a SATA HD, list the drivers as shown on their
> system?
>
> I still suspect that GW did something extra to get the speed up but
> darned if i
> can find anything. I believe the slow-down first appeared after i did a
> reinstall
> of the OS using the GW system CD's.
>
> thank you,
> clif

Tom,
thanks for the driver info.
I just checked and i have those 2 drivers showing under my HD plus i have
something called snapman.sys. I'm off to google....

PS: DONT ever reinstall anything if your happy.. :)
thanks,
clif

Tom Clydesdale wrote:

>Ken,
>
>I'm running 2 WDC WD1600JD SATA (160 gb) drives and the drivers are from
>Microsoft (Gateway installed at purchase). They are: Disk.Sys &
>PartMgr.Sys. I have had no need to reinstall anything - ie. no problems to
>date.
>
>"Kenneth clifton" <savagcl@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>

>> Tom, Homer, thanks for replying.
>> The drivers are listed above. I dont know if they are the correct ones
>> or not. They were installed with the WinXP install CD. I dont know if
>> they
>> are the same ones that was running when i got the system.
>>
>> I just extracted the chipset from gateway and installed it but no
>> difference.
>>
>> Could someone, running a SATA HD, list the drivers as shown on their
>> system?
>>
>> I still suspect that GW did something extra to get the speed up but
>> darned if i
>> can find anything. I believe the slow-down first appeared after i did a
>> reinstall
>> of the OS using the GW system CD's.
>>
>> thank you,
>> clif

"DON'T ever reinstall anything if you're happy." A more general way to say it
is: "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it." ... Ben Myers