spazebar

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I upgraded the HDDs in the DVR's (dish) last week and now I figured I could just take the (old) drives I yanked from the satellite boxes and add them to my file server. Well it turns out that the disks don't want to spin up for the bios or windows but spins right up for Linux. So as I understand it or at least perceive the situation the disk has some setting set somewhere that makes it need that extra command to spin up. So I need to find out how to change that. If it matters the drive is a WD5000AVVS. Thanks for any help!

spazebar

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009

I'm sorry I think there's a misunderstanding, it doesn't show up in Windows because it's not spinning up during boot up. I can get it to show up in windows by booting to a "live" Linux disk or similar and then doing a reset or a "soft reboot" basically as long as the power doesn't get cut to the drives. And I know for certain that it's not spinning up because 1) I can hear it 2) feel it 3) it's a known power saving setting/feature/thing that they (DirecTV and their manufactures) do in several of their DVRs. Thanks though!

I've been told I could use the "hdparm -S0" in Linux to spin it up but that doesn't seem permanent.