SATA II drives - connect to PCI-E x1 card or mobo?

thepregnantgod

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I have two 2TB drives - mainly used for data/backup and am curious which would be the better way to connect them.

1. Connect both to a Rocket 620 PCI-E x1 adapter (allows up to SATAIII) -- note, not sure how lanes of PCI-E are divided but I have 2 GTX 570 cards in SLI as well as another RAID card on the final x1 PCI-E spot.

or

2. Connect both drives to my Marvell controllers on the mobo (Asus Sabertooth P67).

Please note, I'm using all the other SATA ports for SSDs - so these are my only two options.

I'm, of course, looking for speed but don't quite understand the difference between communicating with drives via a Marvell Chip on the mobo or the same Marvell chip on a PCI-E card.

Much thanks.

Solution
PCIe 1x max throughput is 250MB/s which is less than the theoretical SATA II but unless those are some incredibly fast HDDs (let me know where you found them) it won't make any difference.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
PCIe 1x max throughput is 250MB/s which is less than the theoretical SATA II but unless those are some incredibly fast HDDs (let me know where you found them) it won't make any difference.

Solution