Sata II HDD and SATA III SSD

kosuo

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Hello, I want to put an SSD (SATA III) on my laptop, but my current HDD is SATA II.

Does that mean that my SSD will be limited to the transfer speed of SATA II?
Someone told me so, and I decided to ask you.

Thanks in advance!

The previous hard drive is an indicator but not a guarantee of anything. Plenty of SATA III rigs out there have SATA II HDDs in them.

The only way to know is to look up your motherboard's specs.

SATA II runs a 3Gb/s or like 375MB/s
Most top end SSDs cap out around 500MB/s so i mean it isn't a HUGE loss.
Considering a HDD caps out at like 50MB/s - you're still getting a massive speed gain.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
The motherboard of the laptop will determine the SATA version. What model laptop do you have?
I have tested with SATA II and III with Samsung SSD and got +-250 MB/s read and +-500 MB/s reads respectively.
As greens stated it will still be a big improvement regardless as even a 7200 speed HDD will only get you around 90 MB/s tops.

SATA II caps out at 3Gbit/s or 275-280MB/s due to overhead and encoding.
Most 2.5" HDD's cap out around 100MB/s in mobile 5400 RPM Drives, although there are plenty that are faster.
High end SATA SSD's cap out around 550MB/s.

Response times for a mechanical HDD are 10ms+, while SSD's are sub 1ms, they are much more responsive. If you download HwInfo 64 you can see if your board supports SATA III (6Gbit/s). Even if it doesn't a SSD would be a huge upgrade.

kosuo

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Thank you very much for replying so quickly. I am not very experienced when it comes to laptops or motherboards.
The laptop is pretty old - Fujitsu Lifebook PH530. Not sure if it would be beneficial for the laptop if I installed SSD on it.