Sata SSD or M.2?

Jun 13, 2018
Solution

Well...the increased performance of the NVMe may not actually be worth the extra $$. For that type of use.
Yes, they are faster. Good ones, anyway.

But the real benefit of SSD over HDD is the near zero latency. And there, both SATA III and NVMe drives are about the same.
When you start moving a lot of sequential data to and from...the NVMe shines.

I've talked to a LOT of people in here who assumed the NVMe was "OMG faster". In actual real world use, they didn't notice a whole lot.
Especially for a games machine.

But, it is faster...:)
Up to you, budget...

Ztdutxjgxgtu

Respectable
Nov 30, 2016
If these 2 are you olny option , go for sata.

This m.2 is entry level one , meaning slow, but still 2x faster than sata.
You can check out adata sx8200, which is 2~3 times faster.than this m.2.

You dont want to waste m.2 slot for slow and small ssd

USAFRet

Titan
Jun 13, 2018

okay thanks. I was wondering if that was an entry level one since the others I see usually cost way more than the sata varients

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
M.2 is a form factor, it can come in SATA or PCI Express/NVME interfaces.

I have Samsung drives, an 850 evo SATA M.2 and a 960 evo x4 NVME M.2

The 960 benchmarks a lot faster and copies large files faster, but day to day usage and gaming I can see no difference. Either is WAY better than a HDD.

Jun 13, 2018

Do you think its worth it for the NVMe type?

Jun 13, 2018

Yeah I just want something reliable and faster than HDD, but I cant help being interested in the NVMe kinds since they're small and easy to install

Ztdutxjgxgtu

Respectable
Nov 30, 2016
I think sata ssd have maxed out its limit, every brand have same 550 r/w max. And requires cables

So this is main difference.
Decent nvme can go up to 3000/1500 r/w already , no cables, smaller, but will take your only m.2 slot

USAFRet

Titan

Well...the increased performance of the NVMe may not actually be worth the extra $$. For that type of use.
Yes, they are faster. Good ones, anyway.

But the real benefit of SSD over HDD is the near zero latency. And there, both SATA III and NVMe drives are about the same.
When you start moving a lot of sequential data to and from...the NVMe shines.

I've talked to a LOT of people in here who assumed the NVMe was "OMG faster". In actual real world use, they didn't notice a whole lot.
Especially for a games machine.

But, it is faster...:)
Up to you, budget wise.

Solution