[SOLVED] SATA to 6 Pin Adapter For Zotax GTX 950 In A HP 6200 Pro?

Apr 11, 2022
I recently picked up a cheap HP 6200 Pro (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DZMGCMT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a Zotec GTX 950. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised the 320W HP PSU didn't have the needed 6 pin connector for the graphics card.

Is a SATA to 6 pin adapter safe to use in this situation? From what I could find the GTX 950 seems to draws 90W.

I found a couple of Youtube videos of people putting a GTX 950 and a 1050 ti in this same system with an adapter.

I haven't built a system in a decade or ever upgraded a proprietary system so am in need of some advice. Thanks!

Solution
I recently picked up a cheap HP 6200 Pro (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DZMGCMT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a Zotec GTX 950. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised the 320W HP PSU didn't have the needed 6 pin connector for the graphics card.

Is a SATA to 6 pin adapter safe to use in this situation? From what I could find the GTX 950 seems to draws 90W.

I found a couple of Youtube videos of people putting a GTX 950 and a 1050 ti in this same system with an adapter.

I haven't built a system in a decade or ever upgraded a proprietary system so am in need of some advice. Thanks!
Honestly, to protect your graphics card, I would replace that PSU. The power supply likely wasn’t meant to power...

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021

Honestly, to protect your graphics card, I would replace that PSU. The power supply likely wasn’t meant to power a graphics card. That’s why it doesn’t have the necessary connections.

Edit: Here is a link to a similar situation also with a 320 watt PSU. I would only use adapters when absolutely necessary and less risky situations (i.e. for video cables, expanding USB ports, etc.)

Solution
Apr 11, 2022
Honestly, to protect your graphics card, I would replace that PSU. The power supply likely wasn’t meant to power a graphics card. That’s why it doesn’t have the necessary connections.

Edit: Here is a link to a similar situation also with a 320 watt PSU. I would only use adapters when absolutely necessary and less risky situations (i.e. for video cables, expanding USB ports, etc.)
Thank you for the advice. I have another use for the HP machine so it isn't a totally loss. I will look into another system for the graphics card. Are proprietary systems a bad idea for this purpose, like old Dells and HPs?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Thank you for the advice. I have another use for the HP machine so it isn't a totally loss. I will look into another system for the graphics card. Are proprietary systems a bad idea for this purpose, like old Dells and HPs?
It depends. What is the purpose of the system? You could probably use your GPU with the new PC for very light gaming if that’s what you are looking for, but a new PSU is definitely needed. That system is about 11 years old if this page is correct.

Most premium power supplies only come with 10 year warranties (and that 320W is not premium). Most systems that don’t come with a graphics card probably won’t be able to handle one without a power supply upgrade. You might also want to take into consideration the possibility of bottlenecks and compatibility with older PCs.

Reactions: modernzombie
Apr 11, 2022
It depends. What is the purpose of the system? You could probably use your GPU with the new PC for very light gaming if that’s what you are looking for, but a new PSU is definitely needed. That system is about 11 years old if this page is correct.

Most premium power supplies only come with 10 year warranties (and that 320W is not premium). Most systems that don’t come with a graphics card probably won’t be able to handle one without a power supply upgrade. You might also want to take into consideration the possibility of bottlenecks and compatibility with older PCs.
I was hoping to my son could use it for light gaming, Minecraft and Roblox. Is it possible to get a PSU for the Hp 6200 that will support the graphics card?

Is it possible to get a PSU for the Hp 6200 that will support the graphics card?
You have to look at power connector on motherboard (PSU connection to it).
If it is standard 20pin or 24pin power connector, then any standard ATX PSU can be used.
If it has some HP proprietary power connector - like 6pin and/or 4pin connector, then specific adapter is required. Might be tricky, to find one.

Apr 11, 2022
So from what I could find getting an ATX power supply working with this motherboard is probably beyond what I am comfortable with.

Someone suggested possibly running a second ATX PSU that's only plugged into the graphics card. Is that even worth considering? I can get a 650W ATX PSU for under $50.

EDIT: doing some searching around this forum I gather the answer is it isn't a good idea.

Last edited:
This adapter:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403404334948

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I'm not 100% but minecraft and Roblox can be done with the iGPU of the CPU I think (if CPU has it). Unless modded version of minecraft with very high quality or very high resolution texture packs etc, that might make iGPU struggle. Roblox is basically a browser-based game platform, isn't it?

As upgrades go proprietary systems are often a headache and in my opinion usually not worth the hassle. For example they usually have mediocre PSUs with proprietary connectors and connecting them to any other componant that did not come with the system is either not doable or a drag, like finding dodgy 3rd party adapters that do actually work.

I personally would be worried whether the manufacturer/seller did actually test that adapter cable with the model I want to use it on. Also would be worried whether the maker actually keeps an eye on quality control and makes sure the pinouts for the model is consistent. Cause you know, connect adpater/cable with wrong pinout and boom either PSU or card or both are toast.

I wouldn't use SATA power adapters for a graphics card either. If the PSU doesn't have what it takes to run the card in terms of 6+2-pin connectors it's not meant to be used with the card.
EDIT: doing some searching around this forum I gather the answer is it isn't a good idea.
No, it's not really.