[SOLVED] SATA vs PCIe

Jun 18, 2021
Hello everybody,
I want to use a SSD in my Computer which is a bit older. Therefore he only has SATA II or PCIe 1.0 x4 connections. I already own a m2 to PCIe Adapter,
so the question is should I use a PCIe or SATA SSD?c I also heard somewhere in this forum, that old motherboards arent able to boot through PCIe?
Best wishes
Matthias

Solution
you won't be able to boot from that adapter card, nor will you see any speed improvement over it vs a sata ssd.

so do yourself a favor and get a simple sata ssd and be done with it :)

you will notice the difference, but it won't be 4x as fast as you'll see some claim around the web. it'll just load a bit quicker and aceess data faster. you'll still be waiting on the rest of the system anyway since something that old is the reason it is slow in the first place.

but again you will notice a difference with even a cheap budget ssd vs a spinning hdd for sure. i dropped a cheap pny ssd from best buy into a very old q6600 system and it was well worth the $40 i spent!!
Hello everybody,
I want to use a SSD in my Computer which is a bit older. Therefore he only has SATA II or PCIe 1.0 x4 connections. I already own a m2 to PCIe Adapter,
so the question is should I use a PCIe or SATA SSD?c I also heard somewhere in this forum, that old motherboards arent able to boot through PCIe?
Best wishes
Matthias
Keep it simple.
Get a 2.5 sata ssd.
Big bump in perf from a hdd.

Reactions: Matthias24

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you won't be able to boot from that adapter card, nor will you see any speed improvement over it vs a sata ssd.

so do yourself a favor and get a simple sata ssd and be done with it :)

you will notice the difference, but it won't be 4x as fast as you'll see some claim around the web. it'll just load a bit quicker and aceess data faster. you'll still be waiting on the rest of the system anyway since something that old is the reason it is slow in the first place.

but again you will notice a difference with even a cheap budget ssd vs a spinning hdd for sure. i dropped a cheap pny ssd from best buy into a very old q6600 system and it was well worth the $40 i spent!!

Reactions: Matthias24
Solution