Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
webcam
mouse
keyboard (most people)
keyboard hub (if applies)
thats all i got for most peoples usb useage... maybe one for charging things, but in my home everyone uses wall warts instead...

can someone tell me what purpose a 9 usb 3 hub would have in a normal home... hell lets even say the enthusiast pc builder home...

i just cant see the point.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Agreed, there are essentially two types of peripherals, high bandwidth, and low bandwith, with very few in between. USB 3.0 is overdue for external drives, including hard drives, flash drives, and blu-ray drives. But for most USB 1.1 is plenty.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]webcammousekeyboard (most people) keyboard hub (if applies) ...thats all i got for most peoples usb useage... maybe one for charging things, but in my home everyone uses wall warts instead...can someone tell me what purpose a 9 usb 3 hub would have in a normal home... hell lets even say the enthusiast pc builder home...i just cant see the point.[/citation]
This kind of device is most useful to the power user, the person who has a lot of devices. Most people don't need this many USB ports or functionality but there are those who do and this unit's price is reflected by that niche demand.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Name 10 different types of USB 3.0 devices!I can't.I can only think of USB Flash and External Hard drives. What else is out there?[/citation]

still not getting email updates on comments...

well,

hdd
flash drives
im assuming something like sd cards, cant some of the fast ones out do usb2?
possibly a monitor, i know there are small usb 2 ones...

im also guessing a power user got a motherboard with a crap ton of ports on it from the get go... with at least 2 usb3 ports on the case, and at least 2 in the back with another 4-6 usb 2 ports... and they probably have a small hub built into the keyboard. i seriously cant imagine the use of this thing outside of a dock station for a large familys phones and tablets to charge on.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I have 4 of the USpeed ones and they are the best USB 3 hubs I have seen. This one might top that and warrent an upgrade...

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]webcammousekeyboard (most people) keyboard hub (if applies) ...thats all i got for most peoples usb useage... maybe one for charging things, but in my home everyone uses wall warts instead...can someone tell me what purpose a 9 usb 3 hub would have in a normal home... hell lets even say the enthusiast pc builder home...i just cant see the point.[/citation]

These are the USB devices I use:
Mouse
Keyboard
USB DAC (think external soundcard)
USB audio interface (for music recording)
iLok (for activating audio plugins)
Cord for transferring audiobooks to/from my phone
Flash drive
External HDD for my recording sessions
External HDD for my movies
External HDD for my audiobooks :)
Webcam
Headset for gaming

That brings me to 12 USB devices, although I admit those are more enthusiast requirements than the average. They certainly all aren't USB 3, but it's a real pain to have to start switching things around because I find that my USB 3 HDDs are plugged into USB 2 because all the USB 3 slots are taken up by slower devices. And it's dark, I have to lay on the floor under my desk to reach the rear of my computer, etc. Just a pain.

What I worry about is the connection speed. I presume this USB 3 hub would connect to a computer via USB 3. Wouldn't all ten (or nine) ports have to share the bandwidth of that one USB 3 cable running to your computer?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]LukeCWM[/nom]These are the USB devices I use:MouseKeyboardUSB DAC (think external soundcard)USB audio interface (for music recording)iLok (for activating audio plugins)Cord for transferring audiobooks to/from my phoneFlash driveExternal HDD for my recording sessionsExternal HDD for my moviesExternal HDD for my audiobooks WebcamHeadset for gamingThat brings me to 12 USB devices, although I admit those are more enthusiast requirements than the average. They certainly all aren't USB 3, but it's a real pain to have to start switching things around because I find that my USB 3 HDDs are plugged into USB 2 because all the USB 3 slots are taken up by slower devices. And it's dark, I have to lay on the floor under my desk to reach the rear of my computer, etc. Just a pain.What I worry about is the connection speed. I presume this USB 3 hub would connect to a computer via USB 3. Wouldn't all ten (or nine) ports have to share the bandwidth of that one USB 3 cable running to your computer?[/citation]

id say 6 of those arent normal things, and 3 of the 6 could be made into one drive.

but on the usb3 bandwidth... unless you got an external ssd, it would take 5-6 hdds all running at once, and transferring files, to suck up all the bandwidth, and usb2, you could probably hook up 4 5 way hubs and plug in 25 hdds and probably just barely touch the bandwidth of usb 3.

not getting email notifications is really annoying.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I almost bought a 4-port USB 3.0 hub yesterday. Juggling drives and my Blu-ray burner has gotten annoying. But this looks like a much better buy for the money. The high power port will be handy for my new tablet.

I may never use all of the ports at once but for the same cost I'd rather have unused capacity than not enough.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]id say 6 of those arent normal things, and 3 of the 6 could be made into one drive. but on the usb3 bandwidth... unless you got an external ssd, it would take 5-6 hdds all running at once, and transferring files, to suck up all the bandwidth, and usb2, you could probably hook up 4 5 way hubs and plug in 25 hdds and probably just barely touch the bandwidth of usb 3. not getting email notifications is really annoying.[/citation]

I would beg to disagree.
I don't know what disks you have in mind, but single disk can saturate usb 2.0, after all its only 480Mb and in reality you get around 42MB/s from it.

capaill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Also, while a power PC might have 10 or 12 USB ports, a laptop does not. Anyone with only 1 USB3.0 port could get some use out of this. Admittedly a 6-port might be more reasonable. But at least having multiple ports lets you leave things plugged in.

On my laptop I have:
- USB headset
- USB gaming keypad
- USB keyboard
- USB mouse
That's all 4 USB ports used on my laptop.
I also have need for:
- USB fan/stand to cool my laptop
- Charger for a phone or to transfer data
- Plenty of USB sticks or USB hard drives

Some people might also need USB external DVD drives or memory card readers.

Agreed, lots of these don't need USB 3.0, but I'd prefer to have just one USB hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.