SAVE ME OMG

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
For thoughs mentioning lag time.

He can bring up a dos window (Cmd promt) and type PIng xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ( where xxxx.xxx is a valid net address)

it makes 4 passes, should not see any Lost packets.
My avg time is about 100 mS. (Cox Cable, address used is a calif web site)

Editted - added
Info on Ping cmd
www.computerhope.com/pinghlp.htm

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
I've never played WoW, and I'll most likely never go back to MMO again. When I played EQ and EQ2 I noticed that the performance of the game changed with every patch. Also, when I upgraded my system I made sure I enabled higher graphic levels and character models. This took more memory and didn't really have anything to do with the GPU, but did increase my lag considerably when loading new characters. And then of course it mattered what server I was playing on and how many people were in the zone...

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Heh I revived a dead system with an XP 2100 1GB 2700 RAM and a OC Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB and thats very playable at 1280 for WoW.

BTW I haven't seen any confirmation of uninstalling WoW, so if you still haven't, try it out and reinstall....If that fails I would try installing EVE online

drjim

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Thank u i ll try the re install thing but never heard such thing works... anyway i ll give it a shot. the only reason i wont quit wow is the tournament. and for the noobs that say **** on their posts for what i havent done yet... OBVIOUSLY I TRY TO DO THEM but i CANT post ALL TIME and REPLY to EVERYONE "I did it go next" cause its SPAM. Whats the point if i dont try it anywayz.
Tnx guys i ll try a re install as i said (can anyone give me an example of similar case that re install corrected such problem) cause i doubt a lot... :p

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
"most of my 'strange' problems in WoW are solved by reinstalling."

That not clear enough? Ive had to completely reinstall the game twice to fix problems, one was with a creepy FPS bug (it was enough to bring 8800GTXs down to like 12-15 fps, very annoying) and the other was for a UI issue. Also, try deleting your Interface and WTF folders first, as that can clear up problems as well.

You think thats bad, try City Of Heroes. The games says P3 800 256 megs of ram and a Geforce 2. Yet even in safe mode has trouble on a A64 3000 + 512megs + Geforce 4. Every patch increases system requirements(when it came out my XP 1800+ /w 512 megs of ram and a Geforce 4 played it fine...).

@ the comment about Guild Wars. If you ever want large teams and PVE Guild Wars's Level 20 max sucked. for PVP it was ok. Not that i play WoW....but for some its quite a bit better then Guild Wars(Higher lvl's and i think larger teams.). Fingers corssed for Guild Wars 2

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I just have to say WOW, no pun intended. I played WoW for 2 years, thank God my ability to type did not become this inept. I am still not completely clear on his problem. I don't know how he is determining whether it is fps or internet lag. I do not understand why he is so adamant not to re install. I mean its not that long of a process.

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I agree with cleeve. My friend was having similar problems with his system (X1800XT, 2.2GHz Athlon X2, 2 gigs of ram). He was getting strange, erratic, low fps readings and then after waiting for a few hours and getting back on the server it was back to normal. It was also like 1AM when he got better frames, but usually he was at 60+ with highest settings (1680 X 1050).

Reinstalling can do wonders. You'd be surprised. Games and Windows seem to slowly corrupt over time.

Only other thing that I can think to check is for background processes and memory usage.