Save Zero Dollars By Opting for Intel's iGPU-Crippled GPUs

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

It might just be easier to purchase enough stock for a controlling interest than for that to happen.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished

Yes that's partly why I am currently fully supporting AMD (well that and now that they have some top notch products).

By the time Intel would even notice that this current strategy will hurt their sales and not help them, AMD will probably (assuming their successful executions continue) be on solid footing as far as market share goes ... I don't think Intel at this point is realizing that this strategy of theirs is currently, and will continue to be, part of a catalyst for their customers to move to the competitor.

For me, if performance per dollar is similar in two competitors products, I am going to start looking at other things to help me choose who to give my money to.

I think Intel will needs to eat some humble pie soon, or eventually risk being forced to later, with greater consequences down the road. (potentially ... if AMD missteps in the next year or two, it will only reinforce Intel's arrogance, in my opinion, as I 'm sure by mid 2020 Intel will have well pulled out of their product execution slump)

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
The reputation is not just about gaming performance.

A report that was released a few days ago show that in Q4'18 there was a 4.3% drop in PC sales (compared to Q4'17)due to "shortage of CPUs".
Lenovo, HP and Dell couldn't build computers (with Intel CPUs) fast enough to satisfy the demand from corporate customers (that don't care about gaming performance).

My reflection: If those major players had offered sensible computers with AMD CPUs there wouldn't have been any problems...

InvalidError

Titan

Apart from having to setup a separate supply chain for AM4 and possibly TR4 motherboards and CPUs, having to market those extra product lines, having to train staff to support those sales, etc. Not worth the trouble unless they are guaranteed to sell those in volumes well in excess of the 3-4% hypothetical missed sale opportunities (there is no guarantee that shoppers who wanted an Intel box would have accepted an AMD substitute) to justify the costs. Otherwise, they are better off just shrugging off the missed sales.

I see your point. However, I can also see that if they focused the AMD line at your average customer/consumer and allocated Intel to their business oriented computers... they could save in production (in the long run) as most consumers are both agnostic and ignorant of the internal components (as long as it works and does what they want, usually FB and email... maybe some light casual gaming.) Not all are, as some do look for Intel... especially since most laptop manufacturers in the past have offered less with AMD.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I think you missed my point:
They already offer "bad" computers with AMD CPUs, so supply line and everything else related to AMD is in place.
What's missing is competitive computers that have an AMD CPU and a sensible selection of other components.

Rexer

Distinguished

Yeah, you got that right! Collusion is the most popular word in Govt. right now and wouldn't doubt it's popularity in business. I sometimes think motherboard and cpu corporations are extorting us. Nothing Intel does is backward compatible. So it's like, 'buy a new motherboard with the cpu or else'. Or else what? It won't work. Phifft!
So every time I upgrade the cpu and board, I'm always in the mood to a backup cpu and board because newer or later ones won't be compatible and buying 'new' older replacements are over priced. I threw a 3770k machine out the door because replacement boards were so high and no telling if the cpu was bad, too.