Question Saving EasyStore 8tb Drive Contents

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
I was transferring some stuff over to my PC from my Easystore (8tb drive) when my apartment power went out.
Now - the drive is showing up as a single 1.8tb new folder.
I do not have a copy of this drive - This is the only 8 tb drive I have.
NOTHING is showing up.
I had years worth of rips / work stuff on the drive.
Is there any way to salvage this???
Please Please.

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Regardless of whether you can resurrect this particular drive and contents, this is specifically what backups are for.
Never ever have your data on a single storage device.

(Just for future reference)
I know. I had come into contact with more media than I could safely store - but the opportunity was too beneficial to pass up.
I really really just hope I haven't wasted years of cataloging.

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
There are 64 (= 0x40) bad sectors waiting to be replaced with spares.

However, it appears that your drive has a logical problem more so than physical. I think your only recourse is to use data recovery software to recover your files, but you will need sufficient space on the destination drive.

Can you show us the Partitions tab in DMDE?

https://dmde.com/

Something like this ...

https://a.thumbs.redditmedia.com/0bAn_IqmReie5J6k4DoiveQupV9ykqmbhKfX3QoErS8.png
is one of these issues (logical/physical) better /worse than the other? Also worth noting - the drive is 8 tb but not all are even showing up under 'my pc'
View: https://imgur.com/a/bHnDiGR

Is this the correct information you were looking for?

You have overwritten the original 8TB NTFS volume with a new 1.95GB NTFS volume. This is not the result of a power blackout.

If you d-click the Home Base NTFS volume and expand the $Root, do you see your original file/folder tree? If so, r-click your desired files or folders and Recover them to another drive. The free version of DMDE is limited to 4000 files of any size from any one folder per click.

Be aware that any recovered files that resided in that 1.95GB area will probably be corrupt.

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
You have overwritten the original 8TB NTFS volume with a new 1.95GB NTFS volume. This is not the result of a power blackout.

If you d-click the Home Base NTFS volume and expand the $Root, do you see your original file/folder tree? If so, r-click your desired files or folders and Recover them to another drive. The free version of DMDE is limited to 4000 files of any size from any one folder per click.

Be aware that any recovered files that resided in that 1.95GB area will probably be corrupt.
when i expand the root thing I DOO see my original folders and such.
I would have to assume the best / safest bet would be to get a same size drive and try to recover it over?
The fact that I can see it makes me feel some what good.
the new 1.9 volume is useless to me. The lost 8tb is the only stuff that I am after.
if 4k files is the limit - would you suggest just buying the program?

The standard version of DMDE costs US$20. You could then r-click $Root and recover the whole tree with one click. Otherwise, it's one folder at a time. Your choice.

Good luck.

I should clarify that 4000 files, of any size, is the limit per click for the free version. This means that you could potentially recover everything, but it would be tedious.

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
The standard version of DMDE costs US$20. You could then r-click $Root and recover the whole tree with one click. Otherwise, it's one folder at a time. Your choice.

Good luck.

I should clarify that 4000 files, of any size, is the limit per click for the free version. This means that you could potentially recover everything, but it would be tedious.
I am going to try to get another drive today and I will buy the program asap. Thank you so so so much.

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
View: https://imgur.com/a/fZbURS0

ok so the MOVIES section seemed to be completely 'empty' / inaccessible.
That was where 6tb worth of data was stored. Would there be any possible way to access that area if even in the recovery software it appears empty? :(
EDIT: ok...so initially it was showing the movies folder as empty - but I clicked around and Now i am currently recovering that folder. So nvm.

Last edited: