Question Saving or installing stuff on a different drive? Why so difficult? Workaround?

danski0224

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
On my other system, W7, there is almost always a choice to install a program somewhere other than the C: drive.

Apparently, not so in W11. Everything wants to go to the C: drive. I don't want everything to go to the C: drive. Pretty sure I have W11 Pro, I'll have to check.

I found the default save location configuration screen, which may not always work. I have refrained from dumping a bunch of stuff on the new system for now.

I have folders called "Program Files" and "Program Files x86" on another drive, and the W11 default save location screen does not allow me to choose this. My W7 machine is set up the same way, but it seems that I can make this choice more often with W7.

I have moved all of the easily movable things (Pictures, Documents, Music, Downloads, etc) using the Location tab in the properties for those items, off of the C: drive.

I'm not messing with the Users folder again, that apparently broke the update process for the W7 machine, even though it works fine otherwise. Maybe I got lucky.

When I install a Program, the alternate location choice doesn't seem to be coming up too often. Am I missing something, or is this a W11 thing?

Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows only has one default save location it uses for everything including updates and drivers, so changing it will break windows.

You should be able to choose another drive to install to still.. it sort of depends on the installer itself. I don't know of any changes made in 11.

I think difference between Program Files and Program Files X86 depends on if the program being installed is 64bit or not. It uses X86 for 32bit programs.
Starting with Windows Vista, the 64-bit versions of Windows have two Program Files folders. The regular Program Files folder holds 64-bit applications, while "Program Files (x86)" is used for 32-bit applications. Installing a 32-bit application in a PC with a 64-bit Windows automatically gets directed to Program Files (x86).
https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/program-files-x86

USAFRet

Titan
It is NOT any harder with Win 11 than it is with 10/7/whatever.

During the installation of some application, you choose where it goes.
Don't just accept its default....go to Custom or Advanced.
Install it ti whatever folder and/or drive you choose.
It will not prompt you automatically.

Now, if you're talking about some app from the MS store, all bets are off. Those may not give you the choice.

Saving stuff?
Trivial.

Downloads through the browser, change that in the browser settings.
All my download things bypass the PC completely, and save to a subfolder in my NAS box.

Saving a file from an application in your PC?
Generally, programs have gotten a LOT better in allowing where to save to, and what it defaults to.

Usually, save something to a different place than the initial 'default, it will remember that location and prompt you for that the next time.

Of course, there may be some recalcitrant applications that do not do this, but this is NOT a Win 11 issue.

USAFRet

Titan
And your files do NOT have to be saved in the default Libraries. Doc/Pic/Vid/etc.

My system has several physical drives. Each for mostly its own use.

Video here, photo work there, CAD over there.

The relevant applications have NO problem saving to where I want, even defaulting to the last folder I saved to.

TRENDING THREADS