Question Saving pictures or accessing folders freezes process for a few seconds. hhd makes noise with it.

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
So I've built this computer about a month ago and for a while now, I've noticed that there's times that I'll try saving a picture online and when it's trying to pop up the file explorer? To see where to save it to and confirm. My hdd makes a noise like it's reading something for a few seconds and during this time, the file explorer is frozen, wait 3-5 seconds and it'll resume. I can access other programs and stuff when it's doing this..

It also happens when just trying to navigate around my hdd folder.. Is this a sign of a dying hdd? (my hdd is reaching about 10 years old) or is it a software issue someone might be aware of?

Sep 28, 2019
Do you run any antivirus or virus? Any backup service?
Try to disable them, and have another check. Some antiviruses are worse than worst malwares/viruses/worms/..., same about backup apps.

You may perform a disk check and disk defragment, and see if OS gives you any fault/warning errors.

It also happens when just trying to navigate around my hdd folder
Please explain more with more detailed data

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
Do you run any antivirus or virus? Any backup service?
Try to disable them, and have another check. Some antiviruses are worse than worst malwares/viruses/worms/..., same about backup apps.

You may perform a disk check and disk defragment, and see if OS gives you any fault/warning errors.

Please explain more with more detailed data

No antivirus except malwarebytes (which doesn't run on it's own as far, as I'm aware. task manager does show a antimalware service executable.. Not sure if that's from that though.)

Also no backup service is used right now.

I ran a disk check and defragment, neither ran into any warning errors.

Sep 28, 2019
For checking disk usage, open task manager (Ctrl + shift + Esc), then in process view/tab, click on "show processes from all user" button (if such thing present), then it restarts.
Now in process view/tab again, click view menu -> select column
Now select IO read bytes and IO write bytes

Now check if any of the processes is using too much IO, that IO could be from HDD. note apps like chrome uses too much IO, but not all of them from HDD, so ignore them, try to find out processes suspicious for you.

Also how much RAM do you have? and how much is this is used in system idle form? the less ram you have, OS will use more hdd(virtual memory) which is performance bottleneck.

Hope it helps.

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
I don't seem to have "show processes from all user" in task manager, but when looking at my processes tab I can see everything running. I'm not sure how to see how much a process takes up in IO.. As looking at my view menu doesn't have a select column option. I'm assuming that in processes tab, it shows cpu usage, memory usage, etc. One of them is disk % usage. Would that be the spot to look at when this event happens?

I have 16gb of ram idle form uses 25%

I tried to open task manager when it happened and for a split second, I saw windows explorer using up a bunch of a resource but didn't really have time to notice which one.

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
Update on all of this, still happening. I notice sometimes it won't let me click on the task bar to open task manager (have yet to test opening task manager with key inputs when it happens.)

When I try to right click a picture on firefox and hit save for it to pop up the "where to save folder" It does this before showing the folder, 4-5 seconds later and it resumes.

Sep 28, 2019
Update on all of this, still happening. I notice sometimes it won't let me click on the task bar to open task manager (have yet to test opening task manager with key inputs when it happens.)
Sounds like a virus to me, so you may go for a 3rd. party process view, maybe "Process Explorer", try it, and see which service/process is takingtoo much resources.

Also running a anti-virus test would be appreciated. Download "Microsoft Essential Security" and perform an update first, then a scan.

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
Sounds like a virus to me, so you may go for a 3rd. party process view, maybe "Process Explorer", try it, and see which service/process is takingtoo much resources.

Also running a anti-virus test would be appreciated. Download "Microsoft Essential Security" and perform an update first, then a scan.

Did as mentioned and nothing showed up for viruses. I'll try looking at at any processes that take up resource during this event, but haven't seen anything out of place when I quickly check task manager during it.

The only thing I see mentioned on google is related to windows 10 about the same issue, but there's 2-3 fixes and neither of those three have fixed it for me. They make it out as if it's a software issue on microsofts side, but surely there's others without the issue as well.