ScanDisc & Not Enough Memory??

I'm running Win98SE and since that initial instal, I always let
Windows manage my 512 Megs of memory and I haven't had noticable
problems doing that.

Lately, when I need to "ScanDisc" for errors a box pops up
and says "There's not enough memory. Close any running programs &
Retry". If I then close all pgms (except Exp) with Cont-Alt-Del,
I get the same warning/error msg happening.

Restarting the PC by going into Safe-Start mode and then try
"ScanDisc" gives me the very same "Not enough memory" warning/error.

It's only by closing Windows and restarting PC under DOS mode am I
able to successfully "ScanDisc" and correct errors...and that works OK
but that's sure a PIA work around.

Is there something I can do to restore the ScanDisc function
using Windows to what I had??
Thanks-

"Box Top" <BoxTop@anyserverdot.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Win98SE and since that initial instal, I always let
> Windows manage my 512 Megs of memory and I haven't had noticable
> problems doing that.
>
> Lately, when I need to "ScanDisc" for errors a box pops up
> and says "There's not enough memory. Close any running programs &
> Retry". If I then close all pgms (except Exp) with Cont-Alt-Del,
> I get the same warning/error msg happening.
>
> Restarting the PC by going into Safe-Start mode and then try
> "ScanDisc" gives me the very same "Not enough memory" warning/error.
>
> It's only by closing Windows and restarting PC under DOS mode am I
> able to successfully "ScanDisc" and correct errors...and that works OK
> but that's sure a PIA work around.
>
> Is there something I can do to restore the ScanDisc function
> using Windows to what I had??
> Thanks-

Put scandisk out of memory in the search box in Google for info.
One thing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q132832/
Another could be a lack of free space.

List of Articles About the ScanDisk Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287914

The list includes...

Err Msg: Setup Cannot Check Your Hard Disks for Errors...:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188140

....and the ever helpful ("To resolve these problems, upgrade your Windows
operating system to Microsoft Windows XP or later.")...

"Your Computer Does Not Have Enough Free Memory to Defrag the Drive" Error
Message:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229154
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Box Top wrote:
> I'm running Win98SE and since that initial instal, I always let
> Windows manage my 512 Megs of memory and I haven't had noticable
> problems doing that.
>
> Lately, when I need to "ScanDisc" for errors a box pops up
> and says "There's not enough memory. Close any running programs &
> Retry". If I then close all pgms (except Exp) with Cont-Alt-Del,
> I get the same warning/error msg happening.
>
> Restarting the PC by going into Safe-Start mode and then try
> "ScanDisc" gives me the very same "Not enough memory" warning/error.
>
> It's only by closing Windows and restarting PC under DOS mode am I
> able to successfully "ScanDisc" and correct errors...and that works OK
> but that's sure a PIA work around.
>
> Is there something I can do to restore the ScanDisc function
> using Windows to what I had??
> Thanks-

>>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:15:28 -0500, Jucy <Jucy.1vem2a@no-mx.gateway.localhost> wrote:
>>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:34:21 -0600, "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
>>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:43:26 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

A collective Thanks to you three for your links and ideas.

After reading some of the MS "Error Mesage" URL's, I think that
the problem is a combination of things..especially the one which
mentions a "third party" partition.

I had utterly forgot that, that PC was partioned with "Partition
Magic" to give 2 o/s--Win 88 & Win 2K. My kids got this iPod mp3 music
player and it needs Win 2k or later to run. I don't use it and I
forgot about it...God only knows how many songs are upped on that
other partition

Sure looks like from your joint supplied info. that DOS mode
is the only thing I can use now. I don't know about ScanDisc under
PartitionMagic..guess I have to look there too.
My thanks to you all for your help!!