Question Scanner In Use error with HP MFP M225DW in Windows 10

farmercharlie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I have been using HP's HPScan.exe (dated 3-19-2014) for several years on my Windows 7 computer with no problems in either printing or scanning. with my MFP M225DW. The printer is on my WiFi network. When I moved to a Windows 10 computer I had to install a new version of the HP software, which uses an HP Smart icon to interface with the apps. The new Windows 10 computer keeps giving the "Scanner In Use" error message. If I turn the printer off and back on, it gives a "Scanner Not Found" error message, and the window on the printer says "Scanning To Computer," but nothing happens. Then it goes back to the "Scanner In Use" if I try again. I downloaded and ran the HPPSdr program, but that didn't solve the problem. The printer works fine from within a word processor., and the scanner still works fine from the old computer. I wish I could figure a way to go back to the old HPScan program, but I can't make that work so far.

I have been thinking of just getting a new printer/scanner, but it's not likely to be an HP after all this trouble.

Any Suggestions?
Thanks,
Charlie

farmercharlie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Update: I'm not sure how I did it, but I was finally able to install the old HPScan.exe file, and it now works like it did in the old Windows 7 computer. Trying to scan from the HPSmart shortcut still fails as it was doing.
Thanks,
Charlie

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Trying to scan from the HPSmart shortcut still fails as it was doing ."

Check the existing shortcut's properties to ensure that the path is correct and that the file (.exe) is also correct.

Could be corrupted - any error messages or pop-ups when scans fail?

Create a new shortcut.