[SOLVED] scary file system error

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, today when booted up the pc.

for some reason it took longer than usual. Then when I got to the desktop, trying to open any jpg file results to this error.

another thing to note is the things near the date have disappeared.

_

turned off the pc by pressing the power button.

after doing it twice, thing somehow became fixed.

____

have not added a new program or changed any settings in the pc.

So it's a mystery why this happened.

Any suggestions on what to do in case it happens again? Should I go for a system restore?

I'm 22H2 version of windows 10, and fully updated. Also, the temps of the pc are normal.

Solution
update:

error did not reappear when I turned on the pc this morning.

which is a good thing.
error is not likely. you would have to turn cut power while the system was actually writing to a file and the file would also have to be a critical file that would corrupt the file system.
(generally, it would happen if you cut power or bugchecked and most of the time the corrupted file is not critical just some stupid log file tracking system actions)
Most of the time, windows would just run chksdk on the next boot and fix the problem and you would not even notice.

normally the timing window for this type of corruption is very small (less than1/3 second on old HDD much shorted for SSD) unless your drive is having health...

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
anyway, back on the first post. Have you seen this kind of error before?

it's the first time I've seen it, and it's baffling how it happened.

my ESET anti virus is up to date, and I'm not going into shady places in the internet (unless youtube is counted as a "shady place" lol). So I'm at a loss in thinking where this error came from.

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
there are only SSD, because this is my newest pc.

Patriot P210 512 GB = Drive C: (the boot drive)
TS480GSSD220S = Drive F:

both drives purchased brand new, and both are approx a year old.
also, there's a good amount space left on each. I never fill them up too much.

if you google ERROR_IMAGE_SUBSYSTEM_NOT_PRESENT
looks like it can happen if the file system has errors and chkdsk has to be run to repair it. Normally chkdsk gets run automatically if the system does not complete a shutdown. you might want to look for reasons the file system was corrupted. (ie update firmware of ssd, update chipset drivers from motherboard vendors)

maybe download and run crystaldiskinfo.exe to read the SMART data from the drive to get an idea of the drive health.

the subsystem 0x27 was not listed so I don't know the subsystem that reported the error. Might be listed in updated windows sdk header files.

here is how to decode the error.
HRESULT - Wikipedia

error -2,144,927,436 (decimal)
= error 80270134 (hex)
this error breaks down to
8= (severity = failure)
027= (Facility – indicates the system service that is responsible for the error (not listed))
134=ERROR_IMAGE_SUBSYSTEM_NOT_PRESENT

Last edited:
Reactions: Tac 25
update:

error did not reappear when I turned on the pc this morning.

which is a good thing.
error is not likely. you would have to turn cut power while the system was actually writing to a file and the file would also have to be a critical file that would corrupt the file system.
(generally, it would happen if you cut power or bugchecked and most of the time the corrupted file is not critical just some stupid log file tracking system actions)
Most of the time, windows would just run chksdk on the next boot and fix the problem and you would not even notice.

normally the timing window for this type of corruption is very small (less than1/3 second on old HDD much shorted for SSD) unless your drive is having health issues or you hit certain bugs.

you can download and run crystaldiskinfo.exe to check the health of the drive if you are worried about drive issues.

for the most part I would just ignore this error unless it pops up often.
you should avoid cutting the power. Note you can use windows control panel to change what the power button does to prevent cutting power.
How to Customize What the Power Button Does on Windows 10 (groovypost.com)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tac 25
Solution

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
now I remember something. In regards to accidental shutdown.

sometimes use print screen when gaming, I recently changed keyboard, and this keyboard I switched to has a "power off button" in the place where the "print screen button" of the previous keyboard was located. This resulted in the pc being turned off by accident at least twice the past week. This is what probably caused the error.

Got used to this current keyboard. So the power button is never pressed again by accident.